Question about westies

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

BackForMore
80-90 Mem No: 0

Question about westies

Post by BackForMore »

Is there much difference in value between lhd and rhd?

How do the Joker's rate on the desirability scale?

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Question about westies

Post by clift_d »

You really need to look at the westfaliat3 site - there's loads of info about the different models of Westy van.

RHD mostly tend to be Mosaik conversions, which was an interior kit conversion which could be done by owners on compatible vans. Most of the LHD vans were converted at the factory.

Jokers tend to be earlier petrol air cooled models, with similar types of engines to the previous bays. The later Club Jokers, Californias and Atlantics are generally water-cooled, both petrol and diesel. The later models had some tweaks to the interior etc to improve them, but the earlier models are still very useable. I believe it is also easier to convert a water cooled to a newer engine than an air cooled.

Have a good read of the westfaliat3 buyers guide:

http://www.westfaliat3.info/html/westfa ... guide.html
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Right hand drive Westy's are rarer than hens teeth and as clift_d said, if you ever see one it's likely a kit mosaik so not finished to factory standards.

So as far as prices are concerned, all are based on left hand drive models because there aren't any comparisons.
The highest prices are paid for Synco's (4WD) great if you like to go off grid but the added complexity can give high maintenance costs.
So most opt for the 2 wheel drive versions.
The highest prices for these are the later models; i.e. fully loaded Atlantic's, followed by California's (both with grey interior) then Club Jokers, Jokers (water cooled with brown interiors) with air cooled Westy's following up the rear.
Of the common engine types the 1.6TD tends to be the most desirable (but only because of fuel economy) with the 2.1 petrol versions being the nicest to drive.

Body is 'KING' .... above all things....choose the van based on the originality and the condition of its body first, conversion type second and engine condition and type third.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

BackForMore
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by BackForMore »

Thanks guys - good advice. That's all helped to get a target price-to-pay in my head.

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Question about westies

Post by danmetallic »

I'd also add that top price for a Atlantic / California is about £11k (correct me if I'm wrong). So use a sliding scale down from there. Our '88 Club Joker was just under £9k 3 years ago to give you an idea. High tops go for less than poptops also.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Of course they are worth what people are willing to pay and I've seen a couple of pop top California's go for £13k recently with Atlantic's usually topping their prices by a margin.
And there are notable differences between private and dealer purchases as a dealer will add on his cut.

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 14 Sep 2015, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

horizontal kipper
80-90 Mem No: 2661

Post by horizontal kipper »

Some of the very last of the club jokers were ordered with higher specs than the Atlantics but finding one will be the problem.