Adding extra fan to cool fridge

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Adding extra fan to cool fridge

Post by Louey »

Hi Guys

I've got a Dometic 3 way fridge fitted. I don't have any external vents. I would like to improve the cooling by adding a couple of CPU fans. I know how to wire up the fans to a switch, but i would like to add a thermostat to the setup so that the fans cutout when the air is cool enough around the fridge.

I was thinking of adding something like the thermostats on link below (I'll look for UK based supplier if suitable)
http://www.jaycar.com.au/Passive-Compon ... h/p/ST3821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Questions. What temperature thermal switch would be suitable - they do 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 degree Celsius ones.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Adding extra fan to cool fridge

Post by Jim San »

I'm no expert, far from it but I thought the idea of having the external vents and flues was to vent CO safely outside or are you just using it on electric
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

Louey

Post by Louey »

Jim San wrote:I'm no expert, far from it but I thought the idea of having the external vents and flues was to vent CO safely outside or are you just using it on electric

It has the flue vent, just not the big openings like these
Louey

danmetallic
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 11955

Post by danmetallic »

Louey wrote:
Jim San wrote:I'm no expert, far from it but I thought the idea of having the external vents and flues was to vent CO safely outside or are you just using it on electric

It has the flue vent, just not the big openings like these

None of the westys have these big vents. For hot conditions we just fitted additional fans with a switch on the front. Didn't bother with thermo switch in the end. Gives you some extra control too when running via 12v or 240.
1988 VW T25 Westfalia Club Joker, 2.1 iDJ

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

No external vent, apart from the exhaust...and they already have a thermo switch fitted to the top row of fins. The original fan generally only comes on when the sun is blazing down on the nearside of the van (fridge side) or when the ambient temps rise on those hot summer days.
I bucked the trend and fitted just one large 120mm fan. This has around the same CFM as two small 80mm fans but with much less noise.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Louey

Post by Louey »

Cheers Dan & Martin

I didn't think about mounting the fan right onto the fridge - would work better. Also, I'll not bother with the thermo device, I was however thinking of fitting a switch regardless. Looks like that could be this weekend's project as it will be raining for most of it - beats crawling under my Bro in law's Picasso to fit a towbar :lol:
Louey

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

These fridges don't have a compressor and are 'absorption' type. In practice this means that that can only cool to something like 15 - 20C below ambient (the air temperature around them). This is why it is so important to ensure good air flow particularly around those cooling fins.
I've also fitted an 'overide' switch so the fan can be turned on permanently..but be careful to turn it off after you get home.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

I did very similar to a 3 way fridge on a boat using 2 fans and got very good resuls . Fans ran constantly whdn fridge was on .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump