Curtain question

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bozykid
80-90 Mem No: 13542

Curtain question

Post by Bozykid »

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good tutorial for making curtains for van , I fancy having a go myself :-)
Thanks
1990 a/s trident high top 1.9 dg

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Curtain question

Post by Jim San »

what sort of curtains do you want to make? There are many ways and styles.

If you google "youtube how to make curtains" loads of videos show in the results
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

I'II sell you a nice industrial machine to do them on :lol:
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Miss Syd
80-90 Mem No: 10257

Post by Miss Syd »

if you have the old curtains, use them as a pattern to cut the new ones and remember to allow 2.5 cm seam allowance. Measure twice, cut once (as my grandma used to say...!)
Home is where you park it!

daisybell
80-90 Mem No: 13987

Post by daisybell »

If you want them to be gathered rather than 'stretched' across the windows, then allow about 1.5 x width. Measure each window separately and then speak to someone in a material shop. They will be able to tell you how much material to buy. I'm sure you could also get that info off the internet, too. Curtains are basically just a rectangle with curtain tape at the top edge and about the easiest things to start with. Once you do them you'll be doing all sorts for your van - cushions / bedding / bunting..... I did a campervan shirt for my husband. Great fun!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Don't do as I did first time around. I decided on a simple white stretchy wire system, like you use for net curtains at home. I measured up the material, sewed it all up with neat folded over seams. Looked great until I tried to "draw" them (as in, open them). Of course the material, whilst pretty thin, was too thick to "bunch up" enough. The result was they could only be half opened before the material jammed up at the top (if you follow me).

I made workshop rags out of them and did it properly next time with hooks etc.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

terryvanman
80-90 Mem No: 737

Post by terryvanman »

My 2 penny worth

Go to a fabric shop that sell the bedding sets.. Duvet cover, 2 pillow cases, and one set of curtains to match.[usually in one packet and cheap] buy 2 sets and you can self line the curtains and make loads of scatter cushions covers.

Use one of the duvet covers and 2 or 4 pillows covers as designed. The rest just cut up and use for the curtains. you should be able to cut the curtains double length, hem all around and then fold in half [making sure you buy a fabric that looks the same upside down] you will have thick curtains [no need for thermal lining] then just sew the tape along the fold [now the top] and hook onto track.. you should have enough to put quite a bit of fullness to make the heading look a bit descent instead of a flat look when closed [at night]
Not only will they look better you will have a complete matching look to the inside of your van.
suck squeeze bang blow, the cycle of a 4 stroke

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

^^^ :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

guavajelly
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by guavajelly »

Here is a useful site; complete with dimensions and layout.
http://cabby-info.com/OldBlue/files/Lat ... rtains.pdf

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Post by JonB »

I made my own curtains for the panel van, rear window, bulk head, windscreen and door glass.

Bought the fabric and blackout/thermal fabric from Terrys Fabrics, went on ebay and bought a load of neodymium magnets (strongest I could find).

Whole thing works really well and I've made some square cushions and about to embark on bolster cushions too.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire