Rock n roll bed. How to make it more comfortable? Help!

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lynn
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rock n roll bed. How to make it more comfortable? Help!

Post by Lynn »

We have a wonderful T25 campervan with rock n roll bed, nicely upholstered in reasonable condition. The only problem is that it is uncomfortable to sleep on. Has anyone got any suggestions? Many thanks

jack-d
80-90 Mem No: 12231

Re: Rock n roll bed. How to make it more comfortable? Help!

Post by jack-d »

Hi Lynn

I know exactly what you mean, we had ours redone, and the foam they used seems very firm. I was thinking of asking whether there is a softer type. If not may look to see, if there is a thin memory foam we can add on top when bed is out.
Image T25 1990 2.1DJ Viper Green Caravelle, converted to Camper

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

Use a mattress topper over it? Makes it very warm as well!
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

dirtygertie
80-90 Mem No: 4501

Post by dirtygertie »

We have a memory foam topper, it folds flat in the back when not in use - makes it lovely & comfortable
Karen x

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun. -hmmmmm

1982 2l Aircooled with a name!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

The ideal is upholstery foam (firmness personal preference) topped by memory foam (bonded to it), then the cover. IKEA do foam mattresses exactly like this that can be cut into the sizes needed. The alternative, as said, is a topper. Mine is far more comfortable than my mattress at home.

I was given (only used once), one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60272309/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I unzipped it and inside was about 3" of foam with a bonded memory layer. Once out of its cover, it was easy to cut to fit with an electric carving knife. It worked out marginally more than buying raw foam but a whole different comfort zone. If your covers are made but removeable, you could always swap the foam I suppose. Or, buy a topper, cut and glue on to your existing foam pieces?

If I was ever to replace mine, I'd just buy an IKEA one or something very close to it. Its astonishingly comfy.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

covhan
80-90 Mem No: 9340

Post by covhan »

Hello there,
I have recently stripped out my 1980 T25 and in the process of researching all of the new Interior. I've had the van for 10 years now and had a lot of enjoyment from it but it's definitely in need of some tlc. I was really pleased to find this post. Brilliant idea! I'm looking at a Rusty Lee r&r bed. Do you think I'll be able to do what's been suggested to it in terms of adding the ikea style mattress? I broke my pelvis years ago so the mattress is my main concern at the moment.
Many thanks for any advice. 👍🏻
Hannah

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Hi Covhan,
As mentioned, it's all down to personal preference.
I find the RnR beds uncomfortable, full stop. The Bilbo or Leisuredrive conversion beds from my previous camper's are far more comfy and lay completely flat and level.
We use a mattress topper from Asda to help keep the base from being over firm. But the firmness is ideal when passengers are sitting in the back.
Trial and error Im afraid.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

IKEA also do a mattress cover with elastic straps on the corners. Good for packing away small too. Saves you having to manhandle a full mattress everyday.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/luddros-ma ... -80461648/
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic