Multivan Kitchen pods

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xs1100515
80-90 Mem No: 11947

Multivan Kitchen pods

Post by xs1100515 »

I went to Busfest with the express intention of finding someone who could build and supply two removable pods. One with a 2 burner hob and another with a sink cold tap unit. I was disappointed how few trade stands catered for that. However the few cards and leaflets that I did get contacts for have been misplaced.

Could someone recommend a good manufacturer and supplier near Shepton Mallet Somerset. Its between Bath and Wells. I would be prepared to travel a bit. Say 100 miles. I've looked online but can't find many at all.

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Re: Multivan Kitchen pods

Post by Jeff J »

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-G ... wUkaiZsSIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I'm about to make one of these, but with oven :D :

In during the Summer, then swapped out in Winter. :wink:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

clever, although not for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-769JKMPdw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

tforturton
80-90 Mem No: 11177

Post by tforturton »

Bristol Transporters will build you whatever you need. No relation - but I have visited them!
1990 2.1 DJ Syncro Caravelle/Westfalia conversion RHD

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If you just want to buy them ready-made, take a look at: http://www.camperinterior.co.uk/html/se ... per_f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise seek a chippy, someone good with wood - that way you can get exactly what you want.

Also look at 'chuckboxes' on Youtube. You could make or get them made to suit. The best part is you can pack them away when you're not touring/camping or when you need to transport something big inside.

Mine is going right behind passenger seat rather than in the usual spot.

Can't see the point in a sink though. A washing up bowl does that job very well and takes up far less space. You can even set a small washing up bowl into a worktop. Was thinking of starting a thread on T25 chuckboxes when I get going on it. Concept might suit others too.

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

The plans to build a checkbox like those on youtube, are on blueskykitchens.com. Might not be what everyone is after for their van, but as a portable camping kitchen unit, it's pretty neat, and will have a lot of people looking at it with interest....

tforturton

Post by tforturton »

This is a subject on which I have wasted countless hours, and lots of hard cash! I would advise anyone looking for something like this to think long and hard, and establish exactly what they want and need, before they start spending any money. It's too easy to start buying stuff, only to realise it's not quite what you want. Do you want it fixed, or removable? Sink or no sink? Grill or no grill? built in fridge, or seperate cool box? Also, how much are you prepared to spend, or do you want a cheap and cheerful box you can chuck in and out of the van?
For example,I have a westfalia unfit I will probably never use, because it has no grill, and the sink is too small to wash up in. It's also very heavy, so not really removable. I also have a steel hob, grill and sink unit that again will probably never be used, because it's too wide, once the bed is folded out! Obvious stuff, and yes, I should have known better, but it just goes to show how easy it is to make mistakes.
Find out what you want, and get it right first time.

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Easy enough to knock up a simple plywood unit to test things out to see exactly what works and what doesn't. The unit I built isnt removable but works ok fo us , however I want to make some mods to it now to make it more user freindly , starting with pull out storage units on drawer sliders so the whole lot can be slid in and out do we can get to the back of the unit without removing everything.
As cov kid has said about the sink , wish I hadn't bothered with one .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

After much trial an error I found the washing up bowl is almost indispensable. If the worst comes to the worst you can more or less do a strip wash with one - much harder with a tiny sink. My problem (if you'd call it that) is I really hate driving around with stuff that spends 99% of its time unused, taking up space, and adding weight.

You're right about modules and chuck boxes though - you do need to plan - REALLY well. Still, better to spend hours with pencil and paper than get lumbered with something that doesn't work, or a camper you can't make toast in (lol). I love the way chuck boxes fold out and make use of every bit of space though - and you can at least make them the way you want them. Some of the simple units I've tried in the past looked ok but there were voids that you couldn't get at because of the method of construction.

Then theres choice of materials. MDF should NEVER go in a camper in my opinion. Ridiculously heavy and awful to finish. Chipboard isn't a lot better. I found hardboard could be quite good in terms of keeping weight down but not so good in areas where it can get knocked. Ply seems to be about the best compromise I suppose - providing the edges are protected.