Hi Top or Pop Top?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kieramai
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hi Top or Pop Top?

Post by Kieramai »

Being new to T25's I am after a bit of advise. I have been looking for a camper for the last month. Up until this time I have limited my choices to a hi top van. However thought it would be worth ask owners the pros and cons of both vehicles. The camper is to be used mainly for weekends away and shows that merit an overnight stay as it's no fun camping in a Beetle. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Also should I consider LPG conversions as an option. Apart from the obvious savings on fuel are there any other pros and cons.

Bucketbabe
80-90 Mem No: 12616

Re: Hi Top or Pop Top?

Post by Bucketbabe »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You are wise to ask for ADVICE before buying, the good people on here will try to ADVISE you.
Sorry, in-joke :oops:

Regarding roof styles, it's really a matter of personal preference. We love our pop-top for getting under car park barriers, not being blown off the road and for headroom/storage/grandchild bedroom.
However, there are many that love their hi-tops too.

If you are fairly easygoing either way and keep your options open, it will make it easier for you to buy a van with good bodywork and mechanically sound. These are of course more important.
Happy hunting
:ok
take the road less travelled

jasd1978
80-90 Mem No: 9634

Post by jasd1978 »

Tin top.. :lol:
1989, 1.9 dg 4 Speed Panel Van with Gash windows cut in the side.

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Post by LeeME3 »

jasd1978 wrote:Tin top.. :lol:

...and then add a pop top to it after a few years!

Which is what I did! Not necessarily economically sensible but hey it worked for me!

Seriously though, bodywork / mechanical condition matter more in the long run. When I decided the Tintop needed to grow with me and my 2 girls clearly I had the choice of pop or high and I chose pop but largely for personal reasons and because a Westy pop top came along at a price that was right for me. Was still bl00dy nervous as I made that first cut in my roof though....!!!!
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

Tysoe
80-90 Mem No: 9737

Post by Tysoe »

Depends on your needs.

Pop top gives you the benefit of getting under some (!) barriers and car parks, head room when camping and an extra bed/storage when camping. However bear in mind that space is not accessible with the roof down, is something else to setup when on site, some can be heavy to put up depending on the condition or presence(!) of the gas struts and the canvas is something else to maintain.

High tops give you the benefit of an extra bed/storage/head room permanently and also most have additional cupboard space in the roof. No roof to manually raise or canvass to maintain. However some consider them less pleasant on the eye, reduced mpg due to wind drag, reduced access to car parks and such and poor handling in high winds.

Just my thoughts.
Good luck
1981 2.0 CU camper

triumph2.5pi

Post by triumph2.5pi »

I haven't really been affected by the "downsides" of a hightop. Yes, of course you can't get into car parks with a height restriction, but I've never in 3 years had an instance where there was nowhere else nearby to park. I don't find I get blown around too much and average 25/26mpg (1.9 petrol). The huge amount of extra, permanent space in a hightop for me far outweighs any "cons". There's no way we'd get all the stuff we "need" in a pop top, but I guess you just get used to whatever space you have available to you...I suspect there's a certain amount of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" about what is "best" too ;-)
1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter

Jeff J
80-90 Mem No: 13853

Post by Jeff J »

Apparently high tops are a lot warmer also, not half tent :D

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

High tops are the best.....no question.

Just like red smarties are the nicest....fact
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

Shaundon
80-90 Mem No: 9386

Post by Shaundon »

Pop top - much cooler in hot places , ability to open all three sides of the canvas in our pop top has been invaluable in 30 degree plus heat. If you plan any european trips then this is worth considering.
Also smell of cooking food stuffs on the cooker doesnt hang about the same in a pop top.

Down side is less permanent storage which can be a pain when you want to drop the top to go out for some shopping from the campsite - we end up putting all the stuff we store up there on the floor before driving out for the day. Less of a problem if you have an awning.
Also in howling gale the water has come through the canvas on a couple of occasions but that may be my fault for not proofing it enough...
1984 1.9 petrol wbx DH with a pierburg carb , LHD westfalia club joker.

triumph2.5pi

Post by triumph2.5pi »

The insulation in our high top keeps the heat out in hot weather & has a decent breeze through the two high top windows and sunoof :D
1988 Autosleeper High Top
2.1DJ (Pierburg carb)
AAP 5 Speed, 711 Shifter

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

Had pop tops for 30 years. I prefer them. The other bonus is that pop tops cost less than high tops on toll roads in Europe as high tops get charged a higher commercial van rate. If you aren't planning to go there or getting into car parks with height restrictions then go for a high top. Your choice!

Kieramai

Post by Kieramai »

thank you for all the advise, it's been very helpful. Lol, now all I have to find is someone selling the right van for me. fingers crossed it won't take too long.

bokobillycamper

Post by bokobillycamper »

On the question of lifting the pop top into place, the lady of the house manages fine when she takes our boy and dog away. She is 5' 3" and under 9 stone so hardly a giant. Mind, she is as hard as nails.