Awning for high top

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DevonMark
80-90 Mem No: 11545

Awning for high top

Post by DevonMark »

Looking for a reasonable price drive away awning that'll easily fix to our high top.

Doesn't need to be fancy, just somewhere sheltered for a bit of extra space.

Any recommendations?
1989 1.9l WBX hi-top
https://twitter.com/mark_lee

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Re: Awning for high top

Post by rainman »

Not Khyam compact 300, unless you enjoy getting wet and have a good supply of spare poles, in case of a light breeze.
Whether high top or no, all awnings will fit to your gutter, either by figure of 8 or pole & clamps, so the world's your lobster. Just avoid the khyam.
I had (actually still have somewhere) an Outwell which was excellent until some bugger drove over it. I chose the khyam because I wanted something smaller but the quality is way inferior.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

nobbyfox
80-90 Mem No: 9991

Post by nobbyfox »

We have just purchased (second hand) an Outwell Mountain Road awning. Very pleased with it and it benefits with having a zipped in ground sheet so no more Ingres of water - unlike our Royal Traveler used to!!
Also has thicker poles than the Royal so a bit sturdier but also a bit heavier.

Steve
Westfalia pop-top 1990 1.6JX

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Just bought (on the recommendation of a couple of users at Glen More campsite) a Khyam Motordome Sleeper, and possibly the last one in the country! Had a Royal Traveller annex, but on our last trip one flexi pole segment needed replacing (had a spare!!!) and several others needed attention too, and the fabric was showing its age (no da what age it was tho, came with the van.

Khyam very easy o put up and take down. Put it up on the drive, checked it over, and took it down in 25 mins yesterday. Singlehanded. just very simple and easy. The big attraction for us was sleeping space for up to four does not encroach on living space, with having up to 4 children with us. But hard to find a 2014 model in stock anywhere.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Fiercebadpanda
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fiercebadpanda »

Mr FBP thought we wouldn't need an awning but I ignored him and ordered one anyway - after a bit of shopping around I went for this one:
http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/easy-ca ... wning-grey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's been really handy for storing stuff at night and for the kids to play in while we're cooking, plus for us to sip/glug our wine in while they're asleep in the van and it's bad weather. Takes us about 15 mins to get it all set up - trickiest part is clamping it to the gutter but it's not too bad. With all the doors undone it's really airy. Love it!

Theclash
80-90 Mem No: 14346

Post by Theclash »

We to have a khyam .....the drive away sleeper.... plenty of room sleeps 4 , easy to erect , fits van with figure 8 easy , and good price
Recommended....

Jas1977
80-90 Mem No: 13604

Post by Jas1977 »

We bought this a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/product ... order-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Went and got it the day before a trip so no time to trial in the garden. Went up for the first time on the Friday night pretty quickly on the campsite just as it was getting dark. Fits the side of the van nicely when properly adjusted and love having the front door propped up on poles so we can still sit under it in the awning in light rain (needed a couple of extra ropes for this mind you which we already had from an old tent). Bought a separate pole and clamp kit to attach to the gutter.

Dogs sleep in it (built in ground sheet), little one up high (as she calls it) and us on the bed. We keep the sliding door open which makes the van feel nice an airy - everyone's happy!

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Post by GrahamL »

Not wanting to change the direction of this thread, a query I have is on reading quite a lot about securing these drive away awnings. I believe most rely upon attaching a channel to the side of the Hightop or using the gutter channel.

How do you attach an awning if you have a sun canopy such as a Fiamma sun canopy?

Sorry again.
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

grahamp

Post by grahamp »

Hi there

Re the Khyam Driveaway Sleeper - Does the van sliding door when opened interfere with the awning. My current awning (very old!) tends to rip the awning.

Cheers on opening the van sliding door