Hi top roof bed or not?

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Billleivers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Hi top roof bed or not?

Post by Billleivers »

Driving myself mad looking for a good 4 birth hi top van, when all the ones I really like are 2 berth!
Logic for 4 berth is to take grandchildren on occasional holidays. I'm not convinced that the bed space I've seen in hi tops so far will work so well with a lively 3 and 4 year old!
Just wondering if anyone regularly uses hi top beds for kids and whether just opting for a 2 berth plus awning might be a better option?
1989 T25 Reimo Primus, 2.1 inj.

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Re: Hi top roof bed or not?

Post by a1winchester »

Billleivers wrote:Driving myself mad looking for a good 4 birth hi top van, when all the ones I really like are 2 berth!
Logic for 4 berth is to take grandchildren on occasional holidays. I'm not convinced that the bed space I've seen in hi tops so far will work so well with a lively 3 and 4 year old!
Just wondering if anyone regularly uses hi top beds for kids and whether just opting for a 2 berth plus awning might be a better option?

IMHO - High Top AND Awning :ok
Live the dream!
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

We took our two out in our high top Westy when they were 4 and 5 1/2 and they loved it, so in terms of age it should be fine, although you'll probably need to be physically able to help them up and down as at those ages they'll be too young to climb up on their own. With younger ones you will also want to get one of the various nets to stop them rolling out of bed at night.

Other high top advantages - better insulation than a pop top so you can have headroom on cold windy days. Also the high top is useful as a sort of covered roof rack. Lightweight stuff like clothes and bedding just goes up top - it can't be seen from outside the van and it gives you loads of space.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Post by thecyrusvirus »

We have a high top and our children are 8 and 12 and both fit up there comfortably. We have a 1" memory foam mattress and then sleeping bags so they are pretty cosy.

However, the 12 year old has decided she prefers a cab bunk even though they can both lay down and read in the high top bed.

Ours is a sheldon high top (not sure if others are the same height inside)

Hope that helps
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales

Dad
80-90 Mem No: 11860

Post by Dad »

My kids 4&6 sleep up top. He is 112cm she is130cm. At Le Mans I sleep up top 196cm.
I reckon up to about 12 years old they can fit. They may not WANT to, but they can.
1990 autosleeper trident 1.9 lpg

HeloEngineer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HeloEngineer »

I have a hightop autosleeper. Not only do you have a bed space comfortable enough for children. You can store all your kit up there while you're traveling etc. This means you can use your cabin area all the time without having to move bags out the way etc!
I know they're not the coolest of looking thinks but i wouldn't have anything else.

1_eyed_jim
80-90 Mem No: 9011

Post by 1_eyed_jim »

thecyrusvirus wrote:We have a high top and our children are 8 and 12 and both fit up there comfortably. We have a 1" memory foam mattress and then sleeping bags so they are pretty cosy.

However, the 12 year old has decided she prefers a cab bunk even though they can both lay down and read in the high top bed.

Ours is a sheldon high top (not sure if others are the same height inside)

Hope that helps

Where did you buy your mattress from please? Or did you cut your own? Interested as I need to do my roof out. Thanks
Davvy - White Hightop 1986 2.1 DJ

Visit our Ebay shop http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Parts-UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thecyrusvirus
80-90 Mem No: 13398

Post by thecyrusvirus »

Hi 1_eyed_jim

We go the memory foam mattress from Shaws the Drapers.

They do 1/2" for £35 and 1" for £70. I am guessing it will be the same in all stores.

it looked pretty skinny in the packaging but once it was unfurled and left to expand it looked much better.

The kids have said it is more comfortable than their beds in their rooms!

Cheers
Cyrus
1987 1.9DG Petrol High top - Cardiff, Wales