Bike rack recommendations...

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Richardwhite
80-90 Mem No: 12984

Bike rack recommendations...

Post by Richardwhite »

Evening everyone :)

I'm looking to get a bike rack for our Westy and I wondered if I could pick your collective brains for pros and cons of the various types ie tailgate (Fiamma) or Towbar (either hanging type or channel). What would you guys recommend for two adult mountain bikes?

I don't want to spend crazy money (£100-£150 tops) and I'm a bit unsure what the best option is so any thoughts or advice would be brilliant!

Thanks folks!
Richie :)
'89 1.6td Westfalia California Hightop
'08 1.9tdi Golf
'98 1.3mpi Mini Cooper

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Re: Bike rack recommendations...

Post by nicktennear »

I bought a Fiamma one from Mercdoctor and it's been brilliant. Carries 3 bikes, easy to secure bikes to rack when parked up and they come up for sale regularly. You can also buy spares easily.
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

WHS. We have a fiamma and its great. Only draw back is that its on all the time which when you're an idiot like me is a problem if you tend to reverse your wifes car without looking or engaging brain first!
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

shiraz
80-90 Mem No: 2789

Post by shiraz »

With regret I sold a Fiamma recently because of having respray thought would be less risk to damage paintwork.
Bought a 4 bike tow bar mounted one and have now found it heavy and cumbersome and lot more messy to use than old Fiamma.
Find I'm not taking bikes along so much this year only advantage is clearer rear view.
member No.2789
Drink more @ 80-90 than did on 18-30

Autosleeper 1.9 on LPG

mickeyflyn
80-90 Mem No: 10871

Post by mickeyflyn »

I've got a fiamma on mine too and have found it much better than tow bar or rail mounted racks as it's fixed on and solid , the bikes are up high so any fool that runs into the back of you doesn't damage your bikes especially when they are worth more than the van like mine . fiamma bike racks have a full list of parts available too. :ok
1.9df petrol water cooled 1982 built registered 84 ,
If it aint broke don`t fix it !

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

I have a fiamma rack that holds two bikes,I must be different to everyone else as I only fit mine when it is needed for hols etc as it is a pain when washing the van or cleaning the rear window,my tail gate will not stay up with the rack on,need to fit new rams,good bit of kit though
Nil carborundum illegitimi

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

I've got a witter towball mount as I didn't want to hang a fiamma off the paintwork, it's good for access to the tailgate.
I got it off eBay for £116 free deliveryImage
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro
1991 TDI syncro panel van

bigladwigan
80-90 Mem No: 9504

Post by bigladwigan »

Hi, I got rid of a fiamma as it didn't fit with our need to tow a trailer too. Got a ball mounted one that takes seconds to fit or remove and holds two bikes as well as allowing us to tow. It cost about 60 of your English pounds and it's great. When I remember the brand I'll post and let you know. Also means you don't need to uprate the rear door struts.

Richardwhite

Post by Richardwhite »

Thanks for the input guys! Scottbott - is it easy enough to take on and off? Think I'd only want it on there when we're taking bikes somewhere as opposed to all the time. Cheers!
'08 1.9tdi Golf
'98 1.3mpi Mini Cooper

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

We have a fiamma which seems to have been Borges to hold 4 bikes - extra u channels and arms fitted. We have a fifth kids bike slung on top! Old and all the strap ratchets are losing their springs. Messing up the ropey respray we had done. Going to fit a tow bar and use the MaxRaxx which has been on two previous cars. Holds 5. We like it.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Older 'n dust
80-90 Mem No: 13855

Post by Older 'n dust »

We have a fiamma rack that we are considering selling, and not too far from you, so if you do choose to go down that route let me know if you are interested. Holds minimum of 3 bikes, but think it adapts to 4... would have to get it out of shed to have a look :oops:
You can take me anywhere... twice... the second time to apologise! :P

HeloEngineer
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by HeloEngineer »

Fiamma no question. I feel like I wanna put a few bikes on just for the hell of it. So quick but still solid and secure.

Richardwhite

Post by Richardwhite »

Thanks again for all the input folks - went for the Fiamma and ordered from JK yesterday (many thanks Older 'n Dust for the offer :) ), should be here tmra so I get to spend a happy Saturday tatting with it!
'08 1.9tdi Golf
'98 1.3mpi Mini Cooper

tonydata
80-90 Mem No: 11975

Post by tonydata »

bigladwigan wrote:Hi, I got rid of a fiamma as it didn't fit with our need to tow a trailer too. Got a ball mounted one that takes seconds to fit or remove and holds two bikes as well as allowing us to tow. It cost about 60 of your English pounds and it's great. When I remember the brand I'll post and let you know. Also means you don't need to uprate the rear door struts.

Hi there, what issue did you have with the trailer and fiamma? Is there a problem with finding a trailer that has a long enough reach?

Cheers
1986 Transporter 1.9 w/c Tin Top

scimdiesel
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by scimdiesel »

Fitted a fiamma last year. Really happy with it. Extended it to take 4 bikes. Since it sits above the lights there is no need for extra lights or light board. Another plus is you can fit a box carrier thing to it. Or Bungy cord body boards to it etx. The down side is the cost. I could have bought a Cheeper hitch mounted set up and used it on the main car.