4.5 kg butane gas bottle storage

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dave lfc
80-90 Mem No: 9021

4.5 kg butane gas bottle storage

Post by dave lfc »

hi everyone i am having a bit of a problem with storing my gas bottle under my rocknroll bed as it a bit to high.is it safe to store/use laying on its side strapped down,cheers dave :ok
its better to burn out than to fade away 1.9 dg petrol transporter1988

Bowton Lad
80-90 Mem No: 2488

Re: 4.5 kg butane gas bottle storage

Post by Bowton Lad »

Your gas bottle should be stored vertically. The space above the 'liquified gas' is where the liquid vapourises & flows through the valve/regulator.
BOWTON LAD, CLUB 80-90 MEMBER No.2488

2013 VW PASSAT ESTATE 2.OL TDI BLUE MOTION TECHNOLOGY

dave lfc
80-90 Mem No: 9021

Post by dave lfc »

Bowton Lad wrote:Your gas bottle should be stored vertically. The space above the 'liquified gas' is where the liquid vapourises & flows through the valve/regulator.
thanks for that,cheers dave :ok
its better to burn out than to fade away 1.9 dg petrol transporter1988

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Before I moved over to a legal re-fillable (at a garage with LPG) SafeFill Bottle, I too had height problems with the 4.5KG bottles. My solution was to unbolt the metal ring around the top, keeping the ring and the nuts and bolts in a safe place for when I needed to change it. Might work for you, depending on how much height you have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SafeFill bottle = GREAT. Works out at a fraction of the price to run, plus it has a sight glass affair, so you always know how much gas you have left. Nowt worse than running out of gas, on a hot weekend (no cold beer) or a cold weekend (no Propex) :roll:

:ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

John
am i right in thinking the lpg refillable also need to be upright?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Yes Paul.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

'GHOSTWHEEL'
80-90 Mem No: 9537

Post by 'GHOSTWHEEL' »

I'm about to install the same bottle.

Have people fitted them in a sealed secured box vented to the floor?

I was thinking of installing the bottle in one of my cupboards, and cut the floor for a vent plus fit a gas alarm.
Check out my DJ mixes.
http://www.mixcloud.com/LiminalClass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

'GHOSTWHEEL' wrote:Have people fitted them in a sealed secured box vented to the floor?

People might say I am a reckless insane fool, but mine is not in a sealed cabinet and does not even have a vent (well, actually there are 4 small holes).

My thinking is this, the rest of the gas system, the pipes, connectors, taps etc are not in sealed enclosures or provided with vents, so why should the bottle be ? My nice plastic "SafeFill" bottle is well secured and has a perfectly sound connector, I am satisfied with that arrangement. Also I think it would be a rare van that has a perfect seal at the bottom of the sliding door, so if my 4 holes near the gas bottle ("near" because they are left over from the previous 4.5kg installation) don't drain any loose gas away, the bottom of the slider will ;)

Marmalade67
80-90 Mem No: 11385

Post by Marmalade67 »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=134303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
have a read of this. i made a mistake storing our new bottle on its side. Our old bottle was very empty so must have been ok but the new one was making wild flames. makes me shiver every time I think about what could have happenned. We are now going to get a smaller bottle to fit under the seat.
1984 1.9 DG, Petrol, Watercooled, Autosleeper Trooper, feels bigger than our old LT 28!

Marmalade67
80-90 Mem No: 11385

Post by Marmalade67 »

Can the handle on a 4.5kg cylinder be down when the regulator is on?
1984 1.9 DG, Petrol, Watercooled, Autosleeper Trooper, feels bigger than our old LT 28!

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Do a google for vw t3 gasflaschenkasten and take a look at the images.
This one of the better ways of storing the gas bottle and I know where there is one.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

'GHOSTWHEEL'
80-90 Mem No: 9537

Post by 'GHOSTWHEEL' »

Nice box is that beer in it as well?

I'll also have it switched of at the regulator at all times except for when I'm cooking.

So that's a 4.5kg butane gas bottle strapped in a cupboard (not air tight) with a dropout vent in the floor. A gas alarm in the van and the gas bottle regulator will be in the off position at all times except when cooking - plus i always sleep with the sliding window Open an inch or more.

Surely that's safe enough for me to wake up every morning?
Check out my DJ mixes.
http://www.mixcloud.com/LiminalClass/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

That is very, very, very, very, VERY safe :ok

So you don't have a Propex heater then :wink:

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

'GHOSTWHEEL' wrote:Nice box is that beer in it as well?

I'll also have it switched of at the regulator at all times except for when I'm cooking.

So that's a 4.5kg butane gas bottle strapped in a cupboard (not air tight) with a dropout vent in the floor. A gas alarm in the van and the gas bottle regulator will be in the off position at all times except when cooking - plus i always sleep with the sliding window Open an inch or more.

Surely that's safe enough for me to wake up every morning?

Pretty much the same way mine is. Holdsworth villa conversion with the gas bottle stored upright in cupboard and kept in place with a leather stap and a grilled vent on the floor. Turn mine off at the regulator, if I remember, when not cooking. Also enough room above it for a shelf
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

I've a 7kg bottle in a cupboard which will be strapped in in due course. Hole in the bottom of the cupboard. 7kg has the clip on regulator, which I like. Leisure battery sits beside it. Should I keep leccy bits away from gassy bits? I'm assuming gas is heavier than air.

I also have another 7kg bottle in a cubby at the back which we remove and only connect to the BBQ as we do most of our cooking on it outside. Keeps the van fresh and there's more space outside. With 5 or 6 of us we need space.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.