Levelling Ramps: Yay or Nay

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JonB
80-90 Mem No: 12941

Levelling Ramps: Yay or Nay

Post by JonB »

As title really. About to finally start to use the van for camping and wondering if levelling ramps are a must have item, a nice to have or just a bit pointless.

The idea is to go to a few cheaper camp sites peaks/lakes/wales and gueasing not really caravan club standard.

Any advice or recommendations appreciated.
Viking Caravelle JX - Cheshire

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Levelling Ramps: Yay or Nay

Post by AdrianC »

JonB wrote:As title really. About to finally start to use the van for camping and wondering if levelling ramps are a must have item, a nice to have or just a bit pointless.

Must-have, ime, together with a little two-way spirit level. Unless, of course, you like sleeping at an angle... We found the yellow stepped Fiammas great - once or twice, a bit more height would've been nice, but it was rarely a big problem. I wouldn't have wanted to be without the storage bag, and the chocks are well worth getting.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

yes important, you don't want to be sleeping with your head below your feet, if you don't have then it really limits the position you can park the van.

Yes small spirit level also

If I wanted to sleep at a funny angle I would have bought a tent

only thing I don't get is why they all seem to be yellow, green or something would blend in better.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

itchyfeet wrote:only thing I don't get is why they all seem to be yellow, green or something would blend in better.
Visible is good, saves you driving off and leaving 'em behind...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SMann
80-90 Mem No: 13466

Post by SMann »

I bought these:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/390746730924?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They come in a tidy little carry bag. And are black rather than bright yellow! I think they are great!

(The bags really helpful when it's been wet and muddy) :ok
1988 1.9 DG Holdsworth

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

We were literally having a debate about this at the Pikey, with one of the newbies. EVERYONE there had brought some when they first got their camper, most had used them once, however, not one of us were still carrying them or would recommend buying them again. The amount of 'Correction' is minimal and just not worth the effort using them or the space lost storing them.

Does anyone want to buy our AS NEW Fiamma's ? the best thing since sliced bread...NOT!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

I nearly always use them - one of our regular camping spots is on a slope, and I hate sleeping at a funny angle.

I also use them to raise one side of the van up a bit when working on it in the street - I should probably buy some proper ramps or axle stands for that :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

They are critical evidently if you are using a fridge using gas. There are only a couple of degrees of tolerance - something like that. There is a discussion about it somewhere. Having said that I've only used mine twice in four years.

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

California Dreamin wrote:We were literally having a debate about this at the Pikey, with one of the newbies. EVERYONE there had brought some when they first got their camper, most had used them once, however, not one of us were still carrying them or would recommend buying them again. The amount of 'Correction' is minimal and just not worth the effort using them or the space lost storing them.
Ralf85 wrote:Having said that I've only used mine twice in four years.
I wonder if UK campsites are flatter than continental ones...? I reckon we used ours much more often than we sat flat. Get the sliding door side up on the top level, and there's enough correction that Ellie (5'2") found it a stretch to get in and out.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

nearly always use them myself.
See lots of vans in the UK on the pi$$
go to France and everybody uses them
Probably more something to do with the brits being lazy than the campsites being flat. :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

itchyfeet wrote: Probably more something to do with the brits being lazy than the campsites being flat. :D

Or drunk ;)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Thorgills
80-90 Mem No: 11096

Post by Thorgills »

California Dreamin wrote: Does anyone want to buy our AS NEW Fiamma's ? the best thing since sliced bread...NOT!

I'll take them off your hands and swap for a loaf of sliced bread - even stretch to whole meal!
Owned by a 1983 Viking 2.0 Air-cooled and The Boy!

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Use ours often, wouldnt be without them. Has been said, wish they were a little higher sometimes but they make a remarkable difference - even one on its own.
Only used the chock blocks on the T4 so we could leave the handbrake off to use the swivel seat. More often than not i'd use the little chocks to wedge under the portable fridge to keep it level.

Dead easy to use, dont know why people find them a faf.

We dont bother using the 2 way level, i think you can pretty much tell.

Fiamma ones are pretty narrow and can get pressed into the ground if soft, some wider black ones on the market that have a better base (but cost a lot more)
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

I say Yay! Cut up a length of timber. You'll need 2 ramps out of 6x3 and one ramp out of 6x4 (or fatter) to give the greatest number of options. Three ramps because one wheel can always be on the ground. We always use them unless the ground is absolutely level. They are always outside when pitched, so don't take up any camping room. Park across the slope if you can.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

Another yay here. Have the big Fiamma ones with the different levels very similar to those black Thule ones in the ebay link.

I'd say I use them more often than not in the UK but when on continent maybe not so often as most campsites there we stay at there tend to be on the level.

Not so much for the fridge even though that is important, but more for sleeping comfort. In our van whoever is in top bunk (often me) has their head facing opposite way to whoever is in bottom. Now I could face the van so the foot of my bed is at the bottom of the slope but that would be evil on whoever is in the other bed. If parked sideways on a hill I always roll to that side of the van so for the sake of a couple of mins when pitching I try to get it roughly level.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion