I need to make a Hitop bed base...after ideas

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

I need to make a Hitop bed base...after ideas

Post by fairwynds »

Hi
My Bilbos Hitop conversion was designed as a two berth.
Over the last 12 years I've had some planks of wood slotted in place crossways and used these as a bed base. I'm now refitting the interior upstairs of the van and want to make a two piece bed base like I've seen in so many other hitops and lifting top vans...
My brother in law is a carpenter and will be assisting. In meantime he suggested sourcing some 'blockboard' as it's strong and light apparently.
My question is, what is the standard material used to make these bed bases in the roofs?
Thanks
FW
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Re: I need to make a Hitop bed base...after ideas

Post by lefty67 »

I think the base for my bed must be blockboard, from a Holdsworth Villa. Two pieces of possibly 9mm glued together, one is smaller than the other so it slots onto the sides. Cant be sure what the depth of board used is because it is carpeted. I assume its blockboard because its too light to be plywood or mdf.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hi.
My hi top has a bed base made from 3 separate pieces of 15mm WBP plywood. 3 pieces so that they can be put into place through the door and up into place. 2 of them are covered in van lining carpet and then screwed into place onto a base framework, that itself is fixed to the roof with steel brackets and pop rivets. The third piece is the slide out piece that forms the full bed size. Covered in 3inch foam mades for a comfy bed!
I personally would not use blockboard as to me it's inferior in strength,quality and is heavy! The inside construction leaves much to be desired!
I have my van in complete pieces at the moment so of you need any detailed photos of bits let me know.
John
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Post by fairwynds »

Thanks to you for the comments. Have managed to source the correct grade of blockboard. Spoken to three different carpenter/joiners about this and they all said it would be preferable for my job over 'solid' ply, taking into account of how it's all going to be fixed etc.
So, went and got it cut to size, fitted into van (two piece bed base) and hopped up there for a roll around! Job done..... Now, just got to find the time for all the faffing with lining material and insulation etc....
Onwards and upwards......literally!
Cheers :ok
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288