Holdsworth fablon...

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Holdsworth fablon...

Post by max and caddy »

Does anyone know what the interior of a 89 villa 3 is likely to be veneered with? It seems to be fablon but what shade...light oak? and where can I get a roll or two....?

Ta.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Holdsworth fablon...

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

For my Merc I used D-C-Fix but it is a medium oak which is darker otherwise I could send you a small piece to match. If you have patterned grain showing it may well be ash - the oak is just short grains with no discernible pattern. D-C-Fix is German and could well be the original patterns.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Thanks...the dc fix stuff is sold in Wilcos...mrs went today and says there is some similar but not looked myself..it looks more like the maple than any of the oaks but as yet not properly compared..the holdsworths were the best of British so whether a German stick back plastic is likely I don't know...is fablon a British company in fact?! Search continues but what I will say is the stuff they used is actually very good quality...25 years old and exept for the obvious damage and screw holes etc its really lasted well...but also it's faded in the full sun areas like the rear window so if I can just find either the same stuff or a very similar voringer style ply to redo those bits and maybe some better shells that will be grand.also on the look out for iron on edging in the "worth" style..

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My local ironmonger (yes one still exists!) has some pukka Fablon - next time I am there I will see what he has.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

not seen any fablon for sale for a while its all dc fix.I wouldn't have thought holdsworths used fablon or similar I would have thought it would have been a laminated type board, let me know if you find a good match, think ive used maple to match in the past.
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

dbz864 wrote:not seen any fablon for sale for a while its all dc fix.I wouldn't have thought holdsworths used fablon or similar I would have thought it would have been a laminated type board, let me know if you find a good match, think ive used maple to match in the past.

You could be right...it does seem to be very stuck on in general but in a few areas it has peeled off..either way if I can find either a sticky film or a plywood that matches I can sort out my bad bits...also need to find the iron on edge stuff as well...found plenty that don't match..but none so far that do.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:My local ironmonger (yes one still exists!) has some pukka Fablon - next time I am there I will see what he has.

Thanks... :ok