Awning / Sun Canopy Advice

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ads288
80-90 Mem No: 12898

Awning / Sun Canopy Advice

Post by ads288 »

Hi ,
Im thinking of buying this awning / sun canopy for the van.

Outdoor Revolution Tech Canopy 200
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/outdo ... wgodapkAFQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has one or something similar , please let me know what you think.

Dimensions 300cm (W) x 240cm (D)
Height 180-220cm

I know this is one of the questions that is commonly asked - but Im assuming it will fit correctly, please could someone shout loudly if this isn't the case!!

Thanks in advance.
1984 Transporter 1.9 DG Weber Carb

maslan
80-90 Mem No: 13320

Re: Awning / Sun Canopy Advice

Post by maslan »

That looks really good, I'm after something similar but have no idea what the best shape/size/make is. Say if you get it and if it is good!
1982 T25 Diesel Engine
Michael

T3luestar
80-90 Mem No: 13845

Post by T3luestar »

I looked into getting something similar myself, as I have a very large two bedroom awning that's just too big for some shows or just the one night away. But for less money than a decent canopy I ended up just getting a small awning! This one........

http://www.somersetcamping.co.uk/detail ... pact%20200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(It was a bit cheaper than that last year)

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

I was looking at these a while ago and thought they looked really good. It isn't a "drive away" so would need taking down and packing away if you moved the van. It would take up room in the van when travelling, but is presumably only quite small, so this point is possibly neither here nor there.

It would give a reasonably sheltered amount of sitting out space, which is what is required really, so looks like a good option to me :ok
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

briw46
80-90 Mem No: 11561

Post by briw46 »

Hi!

I purchased a Campershop Cube driveaway awning last year and have been very pleased with it! Fits well to the van, big enough for table and chairs if wet and easy to put up (and if me and the dear wife can do the job without killing each other then that is praise indeed!) Door and window to the front with zipped entrance from the van via covered canopy. Packs away neatly. Good price in my opinion.

Brian

http://campershop.co.uk/campershop-awni ... wning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

ads288 wrote: If anyone has one or something similar , please let me know what you think.

I haven't got, or even seen, one of that model. However, being the cheapskate that I am, I have been playing with the components of a retired caravan awning to make a sunshade.

Several "ideas" have failed once I try to set it up, which brings me back to the model you are looking at. I am concerned by the slope down from the van towards the front of the canopy, and how that will fare with the sliding door standing proud of the van just below gutter height. To me, it looks like "loud ripping noise" the first time you open the door. (Been there, done that etc.)
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

I have seen people use tent canopies as camper awnings. Something like this, for example....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eurohike-Larg ... 3cdeb0fe7d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may take a bit of adapting to attach it to the van, but they can be reasonably cheap. Just a thought :D
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

ads288

Post by ads288 »

thanks for the replies people.

Seems the accounts dept has her eyes firmly set on this one - so will buy it and see how it goes. I'll try and post some feedback for future use.

Ads

trebormint
80-90 Mem No: 7712

Post by trebormint »

http://www.puddle-jump.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it's a sun canopy you're after, these offer some interesting ones...

rainman
80-90 Mem No: 4142

Post by rainman »

They look like just the job if you want to sell ice cream.
1983 2L a/c CU homebrew (ex-Autohomes Kamper)

ads288

Post by ads288 »

Well the awning came.

Trouble is , my figure of 8 plastic strips that hold the awning into place were not long enough (either that or I've lost one!) Its 3m wide.

From first looks it seems pretty well made , comes with a carry case , poles and pegs. Will update again with some pics when I've got another figure of 8 strip.

Ads

ads288

Post by ads288 »

Used it for the first time this wkend. Was quite good for keeping the wind out.

Regarding the sliding door - if you position it correctly the door will open all the way without any issues.

Ads

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

So where are the pics of it in action? :ok
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.