Reader Rides (trial thread)

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dicey
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Reader Rides (trial thread)

Post by dicey »

I have not posted in this section yet so here goes:
Here is my 1984 Caravelle Carat. When myself and my brother got the van, it was a carthago camper conversion with a 2.1 wasserboxer. My brother swapped the 2.1 for a 1.9TDI AFN, while I removed the old damaged interior, and installed my homebrew interior. Have not used the van much yet, just a few short weekend trips around ireland, but hope to bring it to SW England in the summer.
VW T3 CARAVELLE CARAT, AFN TDI

junichi

Post by junichi »

7th Type 2 I have owned. A split, some bays, 3 T3's (T25's). Just moved on from a 1978 Westy and loving the Doka for it's practicality as a daily driver yet it still has a ton of character... And heat!

Essex Dave
80-90 Mem No: 3129

Post by Essex Dave »

This is my 1989 Westy Joker AFN, had it for 12 years now. Recently converted from JX to AFN. :lol:

MOLLYTHEVIKING

Post by MOLLYTHEVIKING »

I know that this won't be to everyones taste, but I purchased this at the weekend...having previously owned a viking we decided(after a brief spell owning a T5) that we just want something fun to go out in for day trips and the occasional weekend away rather than a dedicated camper. Can also get 9 people in this one. got me home from Manchester to Kent yesterday....

vdubT25newbie
80-90 Mem No: 13628

Post by vdubT25newbie »

Heres Mine
the Beige Beast
Timor Beige 1.9 5 speed Autohomes conversion bought last june lots and lots and lots of rot stopping has taken place ... covered for winter out now for finishing :cry: :cry:
first trip planned for Hurstdubfest in June
worth a spot.. the banana Roof ... the diy ex double glazing parts on the POP edges .... but its still dry and I may eventually take this and have a new roof done the curtains made by the missus the upside down water filler (now my leccy hook up) and the T2 eyebrows
tail pipes from a raced up beetle make this sound like a formula 1 has also been lowered a little
Saab convertible beige leather seats 8) .....

[URL=http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Keeper of the beige beast .... 1983 T25 1.9 5spd... ...

Whitterz
80-90 Mem No: 14381

Post by Whitterz »

Picked her up yesterday :) 12 Months MOT on her. Aircooled 2.0 Petrol..... 149 mile journey home, with a mix of Motorway and Country roads. Drove perfect.

Smile on my face all the way :)

benyafai
80-90 Mem No: 14402

Post by benyafai »

This is my Bus, needs a bit of work but the weather's looking better for it.

rolling heavy

Re: Reader Rides Our Tintop

Post by rolling heavy »

Having previously owned a bay and a splitty some years ago, and finding the vw show scene becoming an over inflated rip off, with more drugs and Vauxhall novas turning up then, we decided to sell up and moved on into other interests.
Well 12yrs passes and i'm looking through evil bay and notice this in my things of interest chosen for you.
T25 tintop diesel
Well a deal was struck with the seller off ebay and a date for collection was made. After the 5 hr drive up to Loughborough
where It was, a further price negotiation was made due to the seller having frosted glasses on when he listed it and the description was rather misleading.
That said it made the 5hr drive back to Christchurch Dorset, with a crap gear change/linkage made worse coz it has a 5speed dog box and non turbo motor.

So after a few purchases 1 being a new drivers seat the previous 1 must of been eaten by a tiger. Time spent sorting the gear linkage issues out. Adjustments to the injector pump tweaking for better performance here it is now. Not my intention to go show & shine as you can see. You cant buy Patina :wink:

mws fuchs alloys. long stud conversion front and back. Clear lenses' front and rear

Overlooking hengistbury head in sunny dorset last weekend

Flashy seat covers courtesy of my missus

Last weekend spent boarding it out.

A few words of mechanical advise I want to share with people on the forum.
If the gear change is bad particularly on the 5 speeds, the main issue I found is on the bottom of the stick, replace all the wear parts down there. Plastic guides on the fork, the ali guides on the base, also check and make sure the detent plunger and spring are still there and plenty of waterproof grease around all the sliding parts.
The other gear related parts you buy on ebay cheap wont cure this issue, neither will the Quickshift kits "I know I have tried" and wasted money.
When lowering the front You don't need shorter shocks like some people seem to think !! (unless your going real low)
Its the bump stop causing the vans to bottom out not the shocks. So make sure you shorten them.

anaconda
80-90 Mem No: 8055

Post by anaconda »

Picked this up last week after selling our NOT much loved Bay Window. Pretty much rust free and runs on a 1.9 D 1y engine. I also run a T4 but don't feel the love in quite the same way as with T25's. The last T25 we had was in 2009 when the gearstick came off in my hand over in France. Will head down there again in July, hopefully with a smoother passage.

The ride is very hard so thinkng about how to soften it but at the same time maximise the rear wheel diameter to reduce the revs. It's on 60 springs.....suggestions re wheels most welcome.

I'd also like to learn as I go about the mechanicals and gain a few skills. Heading to Marios in Telford next week for a full service and tune. Tried to get more pics but annoyingly it won't take the pixels.....and can't be arsed finding out how to adjust. Why only use pics from downloadable sources??

John

rolling heavy

Post by rolling heavy »

Last edited by rolling heavy on 29 Jun 2015, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

Last edited by thebobster on 13 Jul 2015, 02:01, edited 2 times in total.

normal rules
80-90 Mem No: 14652

Post by normal rules »

Here's ours. Only had her two weeks, yet to give her a name. 90,000 original miles, not bad for a 30yr old van.
T25 autosleeper vt20 1.9dg 5 sp man 1985.

cozi70

New t25 owner in northern ireland

Post by cozi70 »

Hello folks .
I've just joined up as I'm a new owner of a 1980 t25 Viking explorer. It's a 2.0 air cooled petrol and its almost all original ,but I can see by the paint finish that the drivers door has at sometime been painted. There's a few bits off rust around the front window and side door but nothing major. Underneath it has been well sealed from New.
It was a strange purchase . I was helping a friend fix his motorcycle in a big garage when I saw it hiding ,and had no intention in buying one,but the misses would like a caravan. It's 1980 and he's now recently past away uncle owned it from 1985. It came with all 20 mot slips to confirm its 63k ,until it was stored in 2006.
I had the unenviable task off making an offer for it so looked at current similar models here but mainly the mainland for a price guide. My initial offer was rejected by the family but a counter offer from them was still fair and the deal happened.Now its home I'm trying to persuade the wife that cool and compact is the future................. Wish me luck boys!

Last edited by cozi70 on 09 Sep 2015, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

normal rules
80-90 Mem No: 14652

Post by normal rules »

Finally got the last of the Steelies painted up in L90D.
T25 autosleeper vt20 1.9dg 5 sp man 1985.

jimmies

Post by jimmies »

To continue the Autosleepers - here is ours 'Sandy' - going to be painted the blue colour with white roof. Most of the body rust (next to nothing) ground down to good metal, only the driver side rain gutter and windscreen to worry about hopefully