Khyam and j rail help

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

xpertbert
80-90 Mem No: 12900

Khyam and j rail help

Post by xpertbert »

Does anyone have one of these, what are they like. Thinking of fitting a j rail and figure of 8 fixing as my gutter is filled in. Is this a good system and were can I get one from. The Sites I have found won't post. Cheers

trebormint
80-90 Mem No: 7712

Re: Khyam and j rail help

Post by trebormint »

Yes, do it! I have the j rail for the same reason and the Khyam is so easy to erect, even without anyone's help!

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

I used C-Channel, same principal but is designed to hold awning beading - but Fig.8 fits in perfectly.

C-channel can be bought from local caravan centre probably - length is about £20 or so . get some decent stainless screws to attach it with or just bond it on with sikaflex or simillar (if you never want to remove it again).

Kyham is a superb awning for touring, have used ours for years, its been through hell but I can pop it up, hooked onto the van and get it pegged out - on my own in about 15 mins
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

xpertbert
80-90 Mem No: 12900

Post by xpertbert »

Which method lets me unclip the awning with ease to drive of, but is still very secure. Cheers

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

xpertbert wrote:Which method lets me unclip the awning with ease to drive of, but is still very secure. Cheers

Never used a J-rail but C-channel works perfectly, had the awning connected in some 'orrible' storms but it always held.

This is the stuff i used

This shows the connection method to a Reimo rail (which if you can warrant the cost is a great bit of kit. - howver the connection method is the same

The black lines represent the reimo rail attached to the van (in this case a T4).
The red is the figure of 8 strip (white plastic)
The blue is the sewn in bead on your awning.

The fig 8 strip simply slides onto your awning bead.
the fig then just slips into the groove on the C-Channel - no sliding needed. The tension of the awning just holds it there.
To drive away just lift it off.

It doesnt sound very secure and is far more complicated to explain than to actually do.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'