Gas BBQ connection

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

cleagarr
80-90 Mem No: 11523

Gas BBQ connection

Post by cleagarr »

Hi all,

Just picked van up from Steve after having several jobs done... one was to fit the BBQ point to the domestic gas tank. This point has a 6mm outlet but my BBQ has an 8mm inlet.... two questions;

1. How do I connect the two together?
2. Does the BBQ point (from gas-it) http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=pro ... uct_id=126 act as the regulator for my Cobb Gas BBQ (http://www.hotsmoked.co.uk/http-//www-h ... d_132.html

Thanks (now off to fix a leak int eh roof....)

Chris
All I ask is for the chance to prove that money won't make me happy.

1989 Transporter 1.6TD original engine.

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Re: Gas BBQ connection

Post by T'Onion »

Chris
Not sure what your asking here ?
The LPG tank should have a regulator on it ( its a leisure one that Steve has fitted ? )
To link to two use a length of gas pipe ?? Just as you would if it was going from a bottle of gas to the bbq , except the bottle would have a reg. on it .

so it would be cobb - rubber gas pipe - outlet pipe conector , then onto the gas take off :ok
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

Thanks.

Yes - the tank is leisure from Gasure so you're right it is regulated.... just wanted to be sure.

The thing is... the 8mm hose that fits the Cobb is too large for the lpg tank outlet (the outlet is 6mm) - obviously I can tighten it in place with a clip but would this be safe?

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

cleagarr wrote:Thanks.

Yes - the tank is leisure from Gasure so you're right it is regulated.... just wanted to be sure.

The thing is... the 8mm hose that fits the Cobb is too large for the lpg tank outlet (the outlet is 6mm) - obviously I can tighten it in place with a clip but would this be safe?

I wouldn't have thought so....but I'm confused, Steve certainly knows his stuff so why would he have supplied you with a 6mm quick release adapter when he clearly knows standard LPG pipe is 8mm? With respect, he is the person you should be talking to.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

California Dreamin wrote: he is the person you should be talking to.

Fair point! At least it seems I am not going mad...

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Did he supply the union? or was it something your bought for him to fit? was he just doing what you had asked?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

California Dreamin wrote:Did he supply the union? or was it something your bought for him to fit? was he just doing what you had asked?

Martin

He supplied everything. I've emailed him....

thebobster
80-90 Mem No: 8953
Location: Liverpool. 2.1 DJ engine.. LPG by Gasure. Magic Zoom (Blos) by Campershack.

Post by thebobster »

The 6mm connector that fits the take off tap comes with the tap as standard. Simply buy an 8mm connector. (I got mine from a Calor Gas depot when I had the same problem.) The bit that fits into the tap is the same diameter whether for 6 or 8 mm hose. They are not at all expensive either. In fact, it will probably be cheaper to buy an 8mm connector than a phone call from a P-A-Y-G mobile phone to Gasure. This is hardly rocket surgery.

£5 delivered from the bay of fleas if you don't have a Calor depot near you.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Quick-Rel ... 3a874fbf39

Just an aside. If you have an LPG tank fitted with the normal filler and you lose the cover cap for the filler, ask in the Calor Gas depot for a screw-in bung from a propane bottle. It makes a good emergency substitute if you leave your cap on the pump by mistake or if it gets stolen. The assistant at the Calor Gas depot where I often fill up and where I bought my 8mm connector told me about that little dodge and even supplied a spare bung free of charge.

cleagarr

Post by cleagarr »

I obviously should have updated this... Steve sent me a 6mm bit in the post. As always, great service.