Holdsworth cupboard removal for seam access

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zak
80-90 Mem No: 11553

Holdsworth cupboard removal for seam access

Post by zak »

I have a wee bit of seam rash appearing on the offside seam behind the cupboards and fridge. I hear they rust from the inside out sometimes so was considering taking the cupboards out to take a look. I found this really useful thread below, but wondered if anyone had any Holdsworth Villa specific info on where the fixings are.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... rd+removal

Looks like a fair bit of work.

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

zak

Re: Holdsworth cupboard removal for seam access

Post by zak »

zak wrote:I have a wee bit of seam rash appearing on the offside seam behind the cupboards and fridge. I hear they rust from the inside out sometimes so was considering taking the cupboards out to take a look. I found this really useful thread below, but wondered if anyone had any Holdsworth Villa specific info on where the fixings are.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... rd+removal

Looks like a fair bit of work.

rgds

Les

No one out there removed Holdsworth cupboards ?? :(
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by phil_b »

Hi,

Have taken my Holdsworth Villa cupboards out a couple of times, its pretty straight forward depending on finding all the screws and fittings. Mine had obviously been out previously as I guess will most so may not all be as originally fitted.
This is how I did it.

1- Disconnect gas and leisure battery
2- Remove R and R bed, mine had two brackets to the rear angled bulkhead and screws into floor.
3- Remove fridge, secured by screws from both sides in adjacent cupboards, remove fridge vent and flue from outside before sliding fridge forward just enough to disconnect rigid gas pipe, remove electrical connections to fridge, good idea to label them first.
4- Remove floor switch for water pump, although you might be able to lift units over, just makes easier
5- Main cupboards on mine had screwed bracket to B pillar near seat belt reel and lots of screws through cabinet at other end accessed from inside wardrobe cupboard, check you undo them all, if it wont come free at this end check the chocolate block connectors don't have long screws that may also be holding the two cupboards together. Mine also had some screws into the floor in the gas cupboard under the sliding tray, and through the fridge base. After that just wiggle out, its pretty heavy and long, definitely two person job.
6- Don't forget to disconnect or move out of way water pipes and sink drain and any other ancillary electrical connections (water pump etc) as you remove cupboards.
7- I think these all the main stages but apologies if I have missed anything

Having done it twice before I would expect it to take no more that an hour and a half, maybe add another hour or so for first time. You need a fair amount of space to store everthing. Probably worth turning the fridge upside down for 24hrs and cleaning the gas jet whilst its out. I have found the jet to be the most critical part of the fridge, both times in the last 4 years it has stopped working efficiently it has been due to a partially blocked jet.

Good luck, Phil
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

zak

Post by zak »

Thanks Phil, I had managed to get the kitchen unit out without removing the rock n roll bed although it was a struggle to lift it over. Once I found the fixings it was as quick as you say. I'll take out the bed before the kitchen unit goes back !! Only other thing I had to do other than your list was remove the inertia reel seatbelt body for clearance. Rust was pretty minimal inside, little more than surface rust so that was a relief.

Good tip re the fridge, why turn it upside down then?

thanks again

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Pulling a holdworth interior out on Saturday...wish me luck!

phil_b

Post by phil_b »

Les - turning the fridge helps mix up the refrigerants if its stood unused for a while, lots of people on here have done it and it definitely seems to make a difference.

Good luck Max, I've only ever needed to go as far as the main kitchen units, bed and front storage cupboards.
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

aye fridge tipped up for a a good few hours then also leave the correct way foir as many hours before lighting etc. well thats how i do mthem :wink:
mm

zak

Post by zak »

Cheers MM,

Any of you Holdsworth peeps made any mods to improve the cupboards. Access to that lower cupboard by the Rock and Roll is a right pain in the butt. Cant open the door when the bed is out.
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

zak wrote:Cheers MM,

Any of you Holdsworth peeps made any mods to improve the cupboards. Access to that lower cupboard by the Rock and Roll is a right pain in the butt. Cant open the door when the bed is out.

Seemingly not! Must be a perfect design after all?

I see you have a holdsworth syncro...? I'm in the process of fitting a holdsworth interior to a syncro factory hi top at the mo...was yours done by holdsworth? and is it hi topped?

johncccc
80-90 Mem No: 13997

Post by johncccc »

Here are some of the mods that I have made to my Holdsworth Villa:

The lifting top on the right hand side has been cut to now lift in two parts. This means i can leave the kettle on the right hand side and still get access to the contents of the cupboard. I have also added a new socket for the kettle:

Built some overhead cupboards. Makes for quick and easy access to tea\coffe making. Tried to match the fake oak veneer as best as I could:

Raised the floor of the lower rear cupboard and added a a second floor. Cut a hole in the side of the cupboard. This now means I have somewhere to store books, glasses etc. at night time.

Built a slim cupboard that sits behind the passenger seat (We have a swivel seat but never use so decided to make use of the space) the gap between the new cupboard and the passenger seat houses our two fold up chairs. You can just see them in the photo. The cupboard was built by cladding an Ikea shoe box with veneered mdf. The cupboards swing out and are removable for packing.

Everything apart from the cut out in the rear cupboard is easily re-moveable and the van can be returned to pretty much to original condition.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Nice use of space,I envy wood butchery
mm

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Good ideas there...I will steal them!

zak

Post by zak »

max and caddy wrote:I see you have a holdsworth syncro...? I'm in the process of fitting a holdsworth interior to a syncro factory hi top at the mo...was yours done by holdsworth? and is it hi topped?
Delayed reaction here !! As far as I know mine was done by holdsworth, its a hard sided pop top. Hows your installation going?

Some great mods by johncccc there, thanks for sharing them, hope to nick some of those ideas. Still wondering about access to the cupboard next to the rock and roll that cant be opened on mine when the bed is out.

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Hi, progress is slow but steady..been blanking off the rear side window and replacing the pink carpets, and de gunging the units mostly...with regards to the cupboard blocked by the deployed bed I was wondering if I could put the gas into there instead of the other end as it wouldn't need attention really when the beds in use...also hoping to fit a westy water tank into the space next to the bed box as its wasted space really. I have removed the zig charger and mains unit and the panel and replaced the lot with a single PMS 3H unit.

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

zak wrote:
max and caddy wrote:I see you have a holdsworth syncro...? I'm in the process of fitting a holdsworth interior to a syncro factory hi top at the mo...was yours done by holdsworth? and is it hi topped?
Delayed reaction here !! As far as I know mine was done by holdsworth, its a hard sided pop top. Hows your installation going?

Some great mods by johncccc there, thanks for sharing them, hope to nick some of those ideas. Still wondering about access to the cupboard next to the rock and roll that cant be opened on mine when the bed is out.

Les

I use that cupboard to store a tool box, spare parts and stuff Im not going to need with the bed down. But get your point though it is a big space which is wasted in some ways
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia