Replacing a rotten floor

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Peekay
80-90 Mem No: 0

Replacing a rotten floor

Post by Peekay »

The plywood floor of my T25 is thoroughly rotten now - it is probably the original from 1987. Has anyone on here ever replaced their floor, and if so, can you tell me how much of a major job it is? It looks like everything, including seating, would need to be removed, in which case I don't have the facilities (or probably the ability ...)

If it's too much for me is it something the Brickwerks, or similar, could do?

Any advice from anyone who's done this or had it done would be great.

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Re: Replacing a rotten floor

Post by fazzer »

really easy take up the rotton floor ,cut a piece of 15mm ply to fit the floor and drill through wood and camper floor with approx 3-3.5 drill and screw it to floor.You would have to remove cupboards.

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Thanks Fazzer. I've never removed the cupboards before - sounds like a major job. Are there any resources or guides I can visit to show me how to do that?

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Have a look at some rebuild threads. Should be plenty about getting the old cabinets out etc. you will more than likely have no end of rusty screws etc . What conversion do you have as they are all different and some are better than others as regards build and installation quality. Be prepared for some welding as well :?
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

fazzer wrote:really easy..., cut a piece of 15mm ply to fit the floor

Ah, yes, now where's me scissors :lol: I am glad I don't have to do this, me, wood and saws don't get on. The thought of having to cut a ruddy great lump of 15mm ply to even vaguely fit the floor would fill me with dread and likely result in a big jigsaw puzzle :lol:
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

I'm planning the same. The floor in mine is made of chipboard, which has evidently suffered over the years with the odd leak under the sink. The area around the table support is very weak and doesn't hold screws very well, so I'll be stripping out the interior to fit a new marine ply floor. Whatever the state of the existing floor I'm hoping it'll be a good template for the replacement. If it's a simple rectangle, the place I bought the ply for the pop-top beds from will cut it to size free of charge.

I haven't looked yet, but if anyone has experience removing a Viking interior, I too would be interested in any tips.

I don't mean to hijack the thread - think of it as piggybacking!
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Hijack away! Discussion is good. This sounds like a major job. I might have to chicken out and pay a professional to do it. If anyone has any recommendations on that, please let me know. I'm in northwest England. Thanks everyone.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I put a single piece of 15mm ply down and then laid laminate flooring on top.
Not a difficult task but you do have to have everything in the floor area stripped out which also give you chance to look behind the trim......
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

pieman1
80-90 Mem No: 8418

Post by pieman1 »

Hi mate there is a place on park road in barrow that will do that sort of job he did my mates T4
Did a good job for not a lot of £.

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Thanks pieman. Is that the Motor Service Centre? I have used them before. Thanks - I'll get in touch.

pieman1

Post by pieman1 »

No peekay, its a right turn back of the plumb centre.

Peekay

Post by Peekay »

Oh, right. Must be somewhere else. Do you have any more details?

pieman1

Post by pieman1 »

You relay cannot miss it it’s the last right turn opposite the ormsgail hotel junction.

Woodyyellow
80-90 Mem No: 11769

Post by Woodyyellow »

Hiya
I had to replace the floor on my camper last summer. Under laminate flooring was rotten chipboard! 
My advice would be to take it slowly taking plenty of photos along the way to assist with the rebuild.
I collected the full sheet of plywood in the van prior to removing anything, I have a 4ft wide R&R bed so it went in no probs!
The steel floor was in very good condition, requiring only a clean up of old silicon and a coat of paint. I placed a layer of foil insulation prior to fitting the new plywood.
I fitted it with the 4ft width down the length of the van, filling in under the rear seat with the off cuts. I screwed some aluminium strip down the length of the join prior to fitting for the off cut to fasten to, giving a movement free join.
Then I covered it in button vinyl to complete. All units then put back in - job done! 
As a retired Design & Technology teacher I did find this easy! Working in wood metal & plastic comes quite naturally to me, I'm very lucky I know!

[URL=http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/Woody ... 9.jpg.html]Image[/URL

:ok
1987 1.9 WBX DG Hi-Top. Soon to be Subaru ej20

I'm an old guy but I still learn new stuff!

Shotage

Post by Shotage »

Would love to know if there is a guide to removing the cupboard units on a T25 Trident Trooper (Auto Sleeper)?

I'm guessing it is a series of screws somewhere, although I think I have only found one so far!
Then silicon between the van and the wood when it goes back in.

Thanks,
Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled