Maybe caving in and buying a Waeco CR 50

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Re: Maybe caving in and buying a Waeco CR 50

Post by printmonkey »

Thanks, I'm getting 48hrs with the van sitting in the car park and not opening the fridge. Bosch S5's on the Christmas list then :D
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

uurwoolie
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by uurwoolie »

just another word on battery performance regarding oorwullie's conversion on pages 2 and 3 of this thread, i've just been down to the french med with considerably higher temps than last september and my 100A battery lasted 10 days.

i still haven't got round to wiring the fridge direct to the starter battery but i'm convinced that it would be more than adequate considering that i'd be rarely parked up for more than 3 days.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Spotted the latest Webasto fridge the other day like this http://www.dubtend.co.uk/store/#!/Webas ... p/35314844 I have seen it at £350 and it is said to have lower power requirements than the Waeco. Just a thought.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

uurwoolie wrote:just another word on battery performance regarding oorwullie's conversion on pages 2 and 3 of this thread, i've just been down to the french med with considerably higher temps than last september and my 100A battery lasted 10 days.

i still haven't got round to wiring the fridge direct to the starter battery but i'm convinced that it would be more than adequate considering that i'd be rarely parked up for more than 3 days.

Chest fridges do seem to use less power than cabinet fridges.

When you say your battery lasted 10 days, is that without charging it or does it charge via a split charger whilst driving?
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

uurwoolie

Post by uurwoolie »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
uurwoolie wrote:just another word on battery performance regarding oorwullie's conversion on pages 2 and 3 of this thread, i've just been down to the french med with considerably higher temps than last september and my 100A battery lasted 10 days.

Chest fridges do seem to use less power than cabinet fridges.

When you say your battery lasted 10 days, is that without charging it or does it charge via a split charger whilst driving?

battery is connected to the fridge only, still not to any charging circuit.

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Spotted the latest Webasto fridge the other day like this http://www.dubtend.co.uk/store/#!/Webas ... p/35314844 I have seen it at £350 and it is said to have lower power requirements than the Waeco. Just a thought.

i think that uses the same compressor that i have but the box is probably better insulated than my 35 year old one!

ninja.turtle007

It must be that your lift top fridge is very efficient at holding the temperature. The average power consumption stated from Webasto for 24 hours is 29AH and Waeco is 34AH. This is pretty much what I and others have been seeing with the Waeco CR50. This is keeping the contents of the fridge at a low temp.

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

This may have been mentioned elsewhere but isn't the reason that top opening fridges stay cooler longer simply that heat rises and so cold air descends? Therefore when a top opener is opened it loses far less cold air than when we open our Waeco upright and all the cold air tumbles out of the bottom?
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:It must be that your lift top fridge is very efficient at holding the temperature. The average power consumption stated from Webasto for 24 hours is 29AH and Waeco is 34AH. This is pretty much what I and others have been seeing with the Waeco CR50. This is keeping the contents of the fridge at a low temp.

what exactly does it say about their definition of those 24 hours in compressor running time?
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

ninja.turtle007

oorwullie wrote:
ninja.turtle007 wrote:It must be that your lift top fridge is very efficient at holding the temperature. The average power consumption stated from Webasto for 24 hours is 29AH and Waeco is 34AH. This is pretty much what I and others have been seeing with the Waeco CR50. This is keeping the contents of the fridge at a low temp.

what exactly does it say about their definition of those 24 hours in compressor running time?

My calculations say that the compressor would be running for about 20mins per hour. Which if the contents of the fridge are to be kept really cold doesn't sound unreasonable. Especially if the fridge is trying to cool room temp beer, wine and fruit juices for the kids.

Is this massively different to what yours is doing?

I'm going to get a thermometer to make sure I'm not running the fridge at an unnecessary too low a temperature.

oorwullie

Post by oorwullie »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
oorwullie wrote:

My calculations say that the compressor would be running for about 20mins per hour. Which if the contents of the fridge are to be kept really cold doesn't sound unreasonable. Especially if the fridge is trying to cool room temp beer, wine and fruit juices for the kids.

Is this massively different to what yours is doing?

I'm going to get a thermometer to make sure I'm not running the fridge at an unnecessary too low a temperature.

my youngest is now 23 so the whole band don't have any influence on the contents of MY fridgethese days................. :rollin

you wean yours on wine? :?

my reports are based on factual observations, some day i'll connect straight to the starter battery and i reckon that'll work fine with my max. 3 days standing.

i always have at least one spare battery and jump leads on board. :ok

if you ever come to swissland in the winter you don't need no fridge................ :run
ochaye thenoojimmyhaudmaheedtillastickmabunnetoanit

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

A good trick to use with a front opening fridge is to keep the fridge contents in Tupperware style containers.

That way, when you open the fridge door you are only going to lose the cold air that's in between the boxes, rather than all of it.

Makes a significant difference!

P500dub

Post by P500dub »

Did the fitting kit get made ?