Ex German Army T3 Conversion To Camper.

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eiret25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Ex German Army T3 Conversion To Camper.

Post by eiret25 »

Hey all. In May of this year I imported to Ireland an ex German Army T3 with the aim of converting it into a camper and hopefully ready for a trip to the continent proper in September. Along the way I will need advice for sure so I created this topic for the conversion. I recently started stripping the interior and cleaning out 25 years of dirt. I will upload pictures as I go along. It has a 1.6d engine that I am very happy with and it will happily sit at 100km. Insulation and another coat of waxoyl for the base of the interior is next on the job sheet then onto the electrics.

This is it after the plywood floor has been removed. Before it goes back in a nice coat of waxoyl and foil insulation.

Very happy, no surprises.

This is the twin alternator set us as per VW. It was an extra in the Army spec vans, One wired directly to the leisure battery should provide ample charging.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
1986 1.6 D Bundeswehr T3 Kombi

Tobyt25

Re: Ex German Army T3 Conversion To Camper.

Post by Tobyt25 »

Body work looks good! Id be interested to see it all finished!

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Post by Reimotim »

Beauty! :ok
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Hey all, does any member know anything about the VW factory fitted standing heaters fitted to these models? I have located the power switch, turn it on you hear a click on the passanger side of the van and thats it. The standing heater is located under the van and the hot air, when working, is vented up through to the black metal box you see in the rear of the van. I know nothing about these heaters would hate to damage something due to ignorance. I think the model is an Eberspacher but not 100%. Thanks!

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Hey all. I am up at home again next week where I am due to meet my electrician to finalise the layout of the job. Only problem is that I am falling short of ideas as to how to plan out the interior electrics and deciding what I need. The Van will be used for the Continent and will have be fitted with leisure battery etc. etc. I'm just asking that if any member has a few photos showing their interior, outlining the placing of electrical items, sockets, leisure battery etc. would you mind posting them. I have done a few sketches but as this is my first venture into VW Camper's I would just like to be sure that what I am doing is correct. Thanks members
Ian

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Hey all. Just wondering does anyone know of a guide to waxoyl'ing the van? As in how to access box sections etc? I think I seen a guide here ages ago but I can't seem to locate it. Thanks

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

eiret25 wrote:Hey all. Just wondering does anyone know of a guide to waxoyl'ing the van? As in how to access box sections etc? I think I seen a guide here ages ago but I can't seem to locate it. Thanks

Wiki - up there top left.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

eiret25 wrote:Hey all. I am up at home again next week where I am due to meet my electrician to finalise the layout of the job. Only problem is that I am falling short of ideas as to how to plan out the interior electrics and deciding what I need. The Van will be used for the Continent and will have be fitted with leisure battery etc. etc. I'm just asking that if any member has a few photos showing their interior, outlining the placing of electrical items, sockets, leisure battery etc. would you mind posting them. I have done a few sketches but as this is my first venture into VW Camper's I would just like to be sure that what I am doing is correct. Thanks members
Ian

There's some plans in the Wiki - up there top left.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

eiret25 wrote:Hey all, does any member know anything about the VW factory fitted standing heaters fitted to these models? I have located the power switch, turn it on you hear a click on the passanger side of the van and thats it. The standing heater is located under the van and the hot air, when working, is vented up through to the black metal box you see in the rear of the van. I know nothing about these heaters would hate to damage something due to ignorance. I think the model is an Eberspacher but not 100%. Thanks!

You know where to look........yes up there....
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

aisha

Post by aisha »

How are you getting on with the build? Any progress?
1985 Westfalia Joker, 1.6D CS.

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Slowly but surely. Thanks for inquiring. Trying to get all the bits together at the moment as in fixtures, fittings. The goal is to have it ready for a trip to France for the 70th Anniversary of D-Day next year and then move on into Europe hopefully.

aisha

Post by aisha »

Excellent! Keep us updated :)
1985 Westfalia Joker, 1.6D CS.

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

I am well aware of the Wiki, However when it comes to layout, ie. placement of sockets, zig unit lighting etc, etc it does not supply the required information i was seeking. Also in the past I came across a guide to waxoyl-ing the T3 showing points of entry etc. From what i can remember it came from an Irish website and I cannot find it here. I have tried to search the wiki and I am well aware of where to look. So please no more

" You know where to look"

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Hey all. Over the last while, I have replaced the VW floor after having cleaned, waxoyled and insulated the base with double foil bubble insulation. I have also insulated the engine bay, sides and roof with the same material. Afterwards there was a marked reduction in the engine noise. The shopping goes on for bits and bobs for the electrics. Ive have a cool box bought 12v/240. Regarding the interior, I am considering going home brew or buying a kit kit from Reimo. Will update with pictures when there is something interesting to show you guys :D

eiret25

Post by eiret25 »

Getting a few bit together over time. Im not going down the fridge route as I think the cool box will do the job, if not I will look into getting one. Just have to get hold of a Durite split charge relay, its 140amp so should be ok. The 12v sockets are Durite 20amp and appear to be good quality. I have also chosen 12mm Birch plywood for the interior. I was considering getting sheets of moreland but they have only one seller here and they are looking nearly 3 times the price of what moreland uk is selling them for. Crazy!! I hear that Birch Ply finishes well and it somewhat lighter than standard ply. The 12v wire is 14 amp. This should be ok to use along with the ZIG shouldn't it? The ZIG's max output is 7amp and uses 10amp fuses.