Getting the Panel Van show on the off road

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
xriss
80-90 Mem No: 1926

Re: Getting the Panel Van show on the off road

Post by xriss »

hi jes whats the black sealant/underseal product your using dinatrol? or or ?
80-90 Mem#:1926
Syncronaut Mem#:66

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Yeah 4941 under body wax , applied with gun. Goes on sweet, dries semi hard wax, more matt than in the pics. 3125 for cavities , which is brown And thinner. I used brush on sealant first in the places where it was originally. The best price for dinitrol is Rustbuster UK, I think they sell a bulk version under their own name which I will get next time to refill my canisters . Only doing wheel arches in part as they will be completed from otherside as it were when box and engine come out. Which will be done in my new part finished garage .

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Yes, was just going to say, a really sweet looking pic, like black toffee, but actually 4941, you must be really proud... :D

I'm Frost Chassis Blacking a lot of areas straight after a re-weld, 'cos I'm lazy getting the 4941 out, then it all looks so tough a finish, I can't bring myself to cover it up with the under-body later, duh!

PS. Keep an eye on eBay for shedloads of Dini 4941 sometime in the decade :wink:

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

A quick wire mop over for the ali spacers (whilst waiting for a new set to be made :wink: ) to remove the crud, and cleaned all the wax and undersell off the rubber spacers both came up nice

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Ah yes, spacers....better chase that up again :oops:

Brown dampers to match the trim? Groovy 8)
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Dems the OE Green Boge 16" dampers Got a pair for the front as well and OE springs 8)

Bearing housings are ready to go but I'm having trouble with the stub axles, on the bench can't seem to get the axle to slide on without binding - have tried the old bearing and it seems to want to bind either side of where the floating sleeve is in the housing i.e. where the bearings would run on the shaft. Do the axles need pressing in or maybe theres some almost unnoticeable burrs preventing the axle sliding home? Have tried putting the axle in from ' the front' just to see if it goes in sweet but same issue, binds up after a bit.... have tried some gentle persuasion by tapping wit hammer which did produce some progress but seemed like too much force was needed so i :run . Any ideas?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

shaft is interference fit in the bearing, press the assembly onto the shaft, I use the old inner race from the outer race ontop of the new one to stop it being pushed out

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

If it is showing a couple of threads through the other side I just put the nut on the end and leaver that with a small jimmy bar. It's probably the wrong way but I do all the repairs on my vans on my drive and it has worked for me. It helps when the backing plate is on because you can use the brake cylinder for some leaverage in a 14".

Hope this helps.

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Hhmmmmm... I unbolted the hub in the pic above and the sub axle slipped in no problem on Ashley's bench :oops: but the other one still needs pressing in. It seems it's binding on the spacer, must have picked up a burr or knick enough to impede smooth progress. Anyway off to the 80/90 press on Sunday to finish the job. It's 80% home but needs some industrial coaxing.

Also.... Any ideas on torque setting for the four hub bolts as no spec on 16" in Bentley and..... Does anyone have a spare bolt as I seem to be missing one :oops: on a 16" the four bolts ( with hex socket head) are the same as the 6 bolts that hold the brake back plate on so that's 10 bolts a side , 20 in total, and I only have 19.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

jes*b wrote: Also.... Any ideas on torque setting for the four hub bolts as no spec on 16" in Bentley and..... Does anyone have a spare bolt as I seem to be missing one :oops: on a 16" the four bolts ( with hex socket head) are the same as the 6 bolts that hold the brake back plate on so that's 10 bolts a side , 20 in total, and I only have 19.
i just did mine as tight as i could without using a breaker bar
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

lloydy wrote:
jes*b wrote: Also.... Any ideas on torque setting for the four hub bolts as no spec on 16" in Bentley and..... Does anyone have a spare bolt as I seem to be missing one :oops: on a 16" the four bolts ( with hex socket head) are the same as the 6 bolts that hold the brake back plate on so that's 10 bolts a side , 20 in total, and I only have 19.
i just did mine as tight as i could without using a breaker bar

:lol: Fair play to you Lloydy, I know what you mean... Its like torquing CV bolts up, you just know when they are done up right :lol:

Jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i have never been known for my finesse.....
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

no
mm :wink:

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Next best then ...... What are the bearing hub torques for 14"?

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

the bentley states 101 ft/lb for the rear bearing carier.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van