Syncro diesel engine bars

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Syncro diesel engine bars

Post by Aidan »

Can anyone (Russel ? :lol: ) visually identify the two common variants of the Syncro diesel engine support bars, or can anyone post up pictures of theirs without the engine bash plate fitted so I can work it out, or tell me if they are stamped with the part number, and if so where it would be

Looking at the parts catalogue - 
Up to the end of July 1989 suffix C were fitted and from August 1989 suffix D were fitted
Post August 1989 the vans were fitted with the extra sound deadening (from mid august 1988 for Austria market)

Just for the nerds there was a production suffix A version, probably used on the diesel demonstrators, (there were also a suffix A and suffix L bash plates, what they were like I have no clue but probably the suffix A fitted the suffix A bars)

The engine bash plates match the engine bars so early bash plate suffix G fits the suffix C engine bars and suffix P fits the suffix D bars, though you can probably make either engine bash plate fit the wrong bars with some modification

Reason for question is, as you all know I don't do diesel, but have a late diesel bash plate here and need to find some bars to match and don't want to get the wrong ones by mistake

If anyone knows more and if I have got this wrong please post up

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Syncro diesel engine bars

Post by syncroandy »

The only difference is the position of the rear mounting brackets for the bashplate. These can be cut off and re-welded if necessary. I have some spare bars stored away but I can't recollect which version they are, I'll have a look..

E D I T: Here's a pic from when I did my AFN swap, showing the version for the 'with sound deadening' tray:

http://syncrosport.com/projects/tdi/pic/bracket_2.jpg

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Post up or send me photos I can tell you.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

4x4 Bus wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 14:20 Post up or send me photos I can tell you.

I don't have any engine bars, I have a late bash plate, I want to know how to recognise the difference between the engine bars; we can still get the late engine bars new, but if looking at used ones I need to be able to tell which is which or even if they are a mixed pair; hence the post

4x4 Bus

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Late ones have shorter angled bash plate mounting points as to longer straighter ones on the earlier carriers. I will take a few photo tomorrow if I remember.

4x4 Bus

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Andi's photo above are for the late plate with wings.

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

thanks everyone