Squeaking noise from front

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Squeaking noise from front

Post by burnzdog »

Got an Interesting one just when I thought all was well. After driving for 15-20 miles normally I start hear a very audible cyclic squeaking noise coming from diff/ wheel area. Only noticeable when i slow down and disappears when I start to speed up possibly because wind/ noise etc.... Breaking doesn't prevent neither does gears. Definitely follows movement of wheels. It's not front axels as have replaced both of these to test. Any idea what this might be? Only seems to happen when it's been on a decent run, almost like it cools down and is OK so feels like it's heat related wherever it comes from.

Thanks.

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Re: Squeaking noise from front

Post by jebiga41 »

Upper wishbone bushes put some olive oil on them
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

front outer cv seals ? they seal against the back of the upright easy enough to spray some lube donw there to check if it stops the squeaking, does it do it only in the dry and not in the wet ?

scotttie
80-90 Mem No: 16828

Post by scotttie »

I experience the exact same noise you describe and under the same conditions. 

As Aidan has suggested, I slackened off my front CV bolts to get some grease on the front outer CV seals but unfortunately this did not cure it (not to say this wont resolve it for you though). To be honest I gave up looking for the source after that. I didn't think it would suspension related as I will hear it on a perfectly smooth road when only travelling a few mph.

The other potential culprits I can think of are:
  • Front wheel bearings - no play in mine when I last checked but maybe they can get squeaky when hot?
  • speedo cable - long shot but maybe if the cable is dry inside the sheath?
  • CV joint - sounds like you eliminated this as a cause when you replaced the front driveshafts if that included replacing all the CV joints?

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Aidan wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 07:14 front outer cv seals ? they seal against the back of the upright easy enough to spray some lube donw there to check if it stops the squeaking, does it do it only in the dry and not in the wet ?
Have only been out in the dry so fair point. I could get some spray in there see if it does owt. 

izzybarnard

Post by izzybarnard »

Mine had the same issue and a daily squirt of WD40 on the upper wishbone bushes for a week did the trick.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

Mine had the same issue and a daily squirt of WD40 on the upper wishbone bushes for a week did the trick.

The noise is defintely in cycle with wheel speed so i dont think it it will be wishbone 

burnzdog

Post by burnzdog »

I experience the exact same noise you describe and under the same conditions. 
scotttie wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 08:36
As Aidan has suggested, I slackened off my front CV bolts to get some grease on the front outer CV seals but unfortunately this did not cure it (not to say this wont resolve it for you though). To be honest I gave up looking for the source after that. I didn't think it would suspension related as I will hear it on a perfectly smooth road when only travelling a few mph.

The other potential culprits I can think of are:
  • Front wheel bearings - no play in mine when I last checked but maybe they can get squeaky when hot?
  • speedo cable - long shot but maybe if the cable is dry inside the sheath?
  • CV joint - sounds like you eliminated this as a cause when you replaced the front driveshafts if that included replacing all the CV joints?

Interesting you have same. Its a difficult one to pinpoint where its coming from. I will get the camera down there and try and pickup which side at least or whether its central. 

I will try lubricating the outer joint. I think having replaced out both Axles it can only be bearing/hub or poss diff. 

Would a tight VC makes that noise?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

It wont be the VC. More likely to be a dry rotating seal i.e. some grit caught in the dust lip of a propshaft seal
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com