Steering rack gaiter

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Steering rack gaiter

Post by Al Housman »

I'm having a right game trying to get a steering rack gaiter onto the passenger side of my LHD syncro.

The tips on Youtube are for non syncro models and don't have the extra metal work which seems to be making things tricky for me!

It's either that or my fingers and hands are just too big.

Does anyone have any tips please?

Thanks

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Steering rack gaiter

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Replying as a non synchro owner, I recently did this and found that because of the restricted access to the gaiter/bellows I used a piece of metal just wider than a metal coat hanger to pluck at the gaiter instead of using my fingers to encourage it around the slot it fits onto.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

Thank you for the suggestion. I was trying all manner of pokey things...tyre levers etc and I cut plastic tubes in an effort to slide it over. No joy.

And then this morning with good daylight ( note to self, don't start an unfamiliar job at the end of the day!) it dawned on me. With the track rod completely removed and the steering turned fully to the opposite side to the gaiter there is no steering rack sticking out so much more room even for my carrot fingers. 2 minutes and it was on without even one curse. From then on it was plain sailing........

A lesson for me there!

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Glad you got there in the end.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX