Petrol Pump Clicking Off While Filling

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Petrol Pump Clicking Off While Filling

Post by Splurt »

Is this an inherent flaw or is it just me?!

After I get approx 35ltrs in the pump automatically cuts out and the only way I can get the rest in is at a trickle (the last 20ltrs or so).

65ltr tank as far as I am aware and filling up from top to middle of red low level marking.
89 - 1.8T AGU - Hightop SA Syncro

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Petrol Pump Clicking Off While Filling

Post by Aidan »

maybe a collapsed breather or rusty filler throat impinging the back pressure release 
Have you refurbished any of the tank and filler pipework ?
Though in my experience nowadays the fuel pumps are set so the trigger requires greater and incremental squeeze force to dispense and pumps are  set very sensitive to back pressure so as to avoid spillages particularly at single-personed filling stations as the staff don't want to leave the building to attend to spillages and everyone is so risk averse and avoid claims for slips and falls on their property or damage to clothes or vehicles
I remember the old days when you could put the pump on full and latch the nozzle, I can even remember when pumps were attended and they took responsibility for dispensing the fuel safely and efficiently, but there weren't 38million cars on the road, most women didn't drive and air was free   :rofl

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

When mine was roadworthy, never had a problem getting 70 litres into the tank at full chat.
I'll see what the new filling hose has done in due course...
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

Splurt

Post by Splurt »

Thanks for the replies folks, I have some direction now.

Aidan the bus was rebuilt (by Russel not myself) circa 2015 so I wouldn’t expect any of the pipe work to be in poor condition.  I don’t fancy dropping the tank to investigate at this stage anyway, if we go into lock down again and I get another shielding letter it will give me the spare time to tackle it!

Seems to be a prevalent topic on the samba.  https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=626108

I think I recognise GaryD from on here?  

I will try filling with the filler corner elevated next time to see if that makes any difference.

Will also investigate the fuel filler neck and any visible/accessible hoses incase there is a kink somewhere, which could be likely.  I saw a trick where a spring is inserted into a hose that requires a bend.  It prevents it from kinking then so this maybe a possible solution for now if it is a kink in the main filler.

Worst case scenario I just have to be patient and trickle the fuel in.  I’m in no hurry, to hell with anyone else cueing up behind!

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The filler hose is bad enough to get out! I couldnt get it moving, but the conduit was badly rusted so Gary (restoman) cut the whole thing out and then fitted a new hose. Getting a spring in there sounds like a good idea but probably needs to be inside the hose before fitting.
Honeymoon juice is probably essential...

GaryD hasnt been on here for a while, don't know why.
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

I have discussed this before and the reason aidan gives is spot on IMO. My Westy is a nightmare to fill. 30L if you are lucky and then 15mins to get the rest in. The other day I stopped at a little petrol station with older style pumps . For the first time since ownership I brimmed it without it cutting out . The modern set ups on pumps does not suit our filling set up with its kinks and iffy breathing .

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Yup, mine tends to stop on 43L, then trickle the last 20 odd litres in. Abroad it's much better, especially the further south you get. I presume less frothy fuel and more back pressure allowed
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

Have you tried not sticking the nozzle all the way in,
or even having a funnel handy!
Just tricks to avoid triggering the back pressure cutoff,
of course you could end up spilling some..
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Tristar AGU
Danbury AGG

Splurt

Post by Splurt »

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for old school filling stations now to test this theory, there are plenty out in the rural areas here.  Heading away for the bank holiday weekend so will report back next week

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett