temp gauge reading higher than usual

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

temp gauge reading higher than usual

Post by syncro4us »

Hi All
we have a 1986 VW Syncro Joker 2.1 running on LPG/Petrol  in Chester

Went out today as I have just overhauled the front disc and back drum  breaks so decided to check them out locally on some smaller back roads before making a longer run.

Over the years the temp gauge has more or less stayed constant at running temp where the needle  is half covering the top of the red level indicator (not lit so level is fine and I check the header and expansion tanks)
But today is warm reading about 28 degrees outside so on our run the gauge went beyond where the red light is to read about 3/4 on the gauge. Running on Petrol it looks to be a bit cooler but not much.
I took it out on the very hot day earlier reading about 32-34 outdoors and the coolant forced its way back through the header tank into the expansion tank and out looking like the system boiled. I have replaced the antifreeze and made sure both tanks have their caps screwed down tight and so far no problem though I put a container of K-Seal in just in case a head gasket was proving leaky and pressurising the system as happened on our WW2 Jeep that now has  my rebuilt engine in. In any case our system has needed topping up occasionally since we bought it in 2006 and despite many new pipes still needs a little top up after 300-400 miles depending but has got us round Europe to Nord Cap  and Istanbul ok.

Can anyone let me know would you expect the temp gauge to read in this hotter weather we have had and how does this compare to others on the forum before I go on to check other things like  coolant hydrometer Spg reading .
Cheers 

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: temp gauge reading higher than usual

Post by Mocki »

My guess is the K seal has blocked some of the really small cooling pipes inside the rad , and it’s now not as efficient.

vw says normal is anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 on the gauge . 

is the fan cutting in as normal and running for a normal amount of time ? 
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

Post by syncro4us »

Yes fan is cutting in as per normal on stage 1 and 2nd stage when it was really hot.
Dont think K-seal is the problem as Iv been using it for years due to persistent small leak from one of the cylinder seals which it fixes well without change to heating gauge needle position.
Will check down pipe from air vent RHS as its a LHD VW and check its connected to the pipe going to  air filter box otherwise air would be drawn from Hot  engine area which could cause problem. Unfortunately the LPG converter guy took away the dust separator from the rear on conversion in 2006-7 and didn't tell me so that bit is missing but we have been allover Europe no problem even with the K Seal.
Will see how it goes in the cooler more normal weather forecast
cheers
Kev

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I wouldn’t worry about the dust separator ,both my rear air vents have been blocked at he bottom for years, a heating fuel tank one side and my engine battery the other . The van is water cooled , it does not relay on any airflow through those vents at all 
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper