Syncro 16in rear driveshaft occuring fault

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
oldswampy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Syncro 16in rear driveshaft occuring fault

Post by oldswampy »

Hi not been on for a very long time but I wonder if someone could be of some help.
My rear driveshafts are for ever being knocked out or splitting rear gators.
We only use the van for wild camping so the van is not always doing a lot of off roading.
I have sent the driveshafts away for reconditioning and have also replaced them with original GKN Spidan parts.
Could this problem be caused by the suspension set up I have which is Old man Emu shocks with extension brackets
with possibly blue coil springs possibly ex AA van.
Would be very grateful if someone has had this problem before

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Syncro 16in rear driveshaft occuring fault

Post by Aidan »

16" CV joints have less articulation than 14" ones or the porsche944turbo style ones, so if the vehicle has been jacked up that could be an issue, also the quality of the parts available now isn't a patch on genuine original in my experience, boots especially; I think genuine boots may still be available from VW (and if they are they will be 3x the price probably) but I don't know as it's been a few years since I bought any for a customer, but I'd be looking to buy genuine if I could rather than pattern, and that applies to all parts, but we've reached the stage where even oem means nothing as manufacturers have increasingly moved manufacturing abroad and often the only original thing is the name on the box

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

oldswampy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oldswampy »

Hi Thanks for getting back to me, would you suggest then using the Porsche 944 cv joints are there any other syncro users doing this and will they take the torque when off roading. I take it I will still have the same problem with gators splitting due to the material they use now.I dont really want to put the suspension back to normal as it sat very low for a high top but we do carry a lot of clutter when we are wild camping.Sorry another question would it be better to up date all the suspension either with a fox system, Trailmaster or something else.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Aidan, what's the key identifying feature of the 944T cv's? I am guessing that they are wider than the regular 16"/Audi 100/A6 ones?
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

ive always been under the impression 16" joints had more articulation? Boot wise, 16" boots are not happy with raised suspension, if any of the folds touch the boot falls apart very quickly. 30mm rise is just about ok. Genuine boots can still be got easy enough direct from vw and are WAY better than aftermarket. Not cheap though.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you