Prop shaft bush replacement - does any one do it?

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Prop shaft bush replacement - does any one do it?

Post by burnzdog »

dokamonkeys wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:44
burnzdog wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 06:54 Anyone used the brickwerks replacement prop with sliding joint?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/propshaft- ... joint.html

Yep, have run one since 2018. 3 months in Morocco blah blah, probably got 15k on it now. No complaints and what's not to like about about greasing a nipple or 4!
Neil
OK so all good then, anything special when fitting?

burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by burnzdog »

silverbullet wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 09:06 It's only a metric bronze bush, the hard bit is finding someone with a lathe that will pass 90mm+ through the spindle to bore the old one out.

Apparrently I you choose the refurb option with Brickwerks they will replace the bushes as well.

dokamonkeys
80-90 Mem No: 8696

Post by dokamonkeys »

burnzdog wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 18:26
dokamonkeys wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 19:44
burnzdog wrote: 07 Aug 2020, 06:54 Anyone used the brickwerks replacement prop with sliding joint?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/propshaft- ... joint.html

Yep, have run one since 2018. 3 months in Morocco blah blah, probably got 15k on it now. No complaints and what's not to like about about greasing a nipple or 4!
Neil
OK so all good then, anything special when fitting?

If you've got your standard one, then make a note of where it all sits when everything is properly aligned. Measure it for length and just replicate that length when fitting the telescopic one. Just make sure front diff is in a happy place. Standard vancafe method of alignment works as well. I used a bit of string for side to side alignment. Seems to work.
Fit it with the joint towards the front of the vehicle. I was initially advised to fit it with the joint to the rear but that would have meant it would have got full of crap so I phoned the manufacturer and they confirmed to fit it so that the open part of the joint faces backwards. Makes sense.
There may be another reason to fit it the other way round, but I can't see it and it's done well so far. Quality bit of kit 👊
91 Syncro Caravelle
90 Doka
'78 Westy
'76 Bug