Noisy OSF

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
mattlad
80-90 Mem No: 17074

Noisy OSF

Post by mattlad »

I had thought that the CV on the OSF was a bit suspect as i could hear a creaking/cracking sound at low speeds so i had a closer look . when i bounce the OSF up and down with my head down close to the wheel i can hear a creaking almost cracking sound that seems to be coming from the upper wishbone mounts so im guessing that this is the issue rather than anything CV related... but when rolling slowly there is a very high pitched squeal that is def coming from the CV - think there is some sort of seal on the CV to hub or bearing that may be the issue?

Is it a pain in the backside job to do the upper wishbone mounts? - I'm guessing undo the top ball joint and that should be enough to take the tension off and drive the bolt out - to get it off.

With the CV seal thing can that be replaced separately to the CV or is it non replaceable? I also spotted the inner CV boot is split so the driveshaft will have to come off anyway at the same time.

Any tips appreciated.

thanks Matt

pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Re: Noisy OSF

Post by pkrboo »

upper wishbone is easy to get out, driveshaft isnt too bad either I dont think, especially if you already have top ball joint out like you say
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

mattlad
80-90 Mem No: 17074

Re: Noisy OSF

Post by mattlad »

Cheers Matt - it doesn’t look to bad - just need to set aside some time to do it.

I spoke to Aidan earlier and he ran through the job and some tips so I’ll order up bits - I’m gonna see if the syncro fits in the garage and get the bay out - can’t be working on the street again!!