Latest addition to the Syncro

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Latest addition to the Syncro

Post by Dobble »

For a while now I've been looking for an electric scooter or a small motorbike that we can take with us in the Syncro for times when we want to just nip off somewhere without breaking camp. I have an AJS which I quite fancied taking away with us on our travels but that would mean towing a trailer and if we had an electric scooter we might run into charging issues. After looking into what others have done I've come up with a solution which is a Puch Maxi that'll be mounted on a tow bar rack. They only weigh 48kg so we'll be well within the weight limit of the tow bar.

I thought a Puch would be a nice compliment to the Syncro as they were both in the same factory at some point.

After a bit of searching I found and bought this one

ImageUntitled by Ben Close, on Flickr

It's quite a nice example, it is a 77 model and I bought it from the original owner from new. It was owned by a university lecturer who used it around the campus for a couple of years then it sat in a store room until the mid 90's when his son used it on the road for a year. After that it was left in their shed until I bought it a couple of days ago. It even has the original unopened tool kit that nestles in the side panel. The only down side is that its on a Q plate and it wasn't registered when it was new only when the son got it on the road in 94. If I can I'd like to get an age related plate with the correct date of manufacture on the documents as it would then be tax and MOT exempt.

When I was researching the dimensions I found that with the Puch mounted on the rear there would be no overhang either side of the van which is ideal and at under 50kg's I can lift it on and off the rack myself.

Next thing is to fine some materials to make the rack.
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Latest addition to the Syncro

Post by maxstu »

Consider one of these, Ben?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOCROSS-EN ... SwkZlexlxF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can collect and post to you
Maxstu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

That's similar to the design I'm basing mine on. Typical I've just ordered the steel. Really appreciate the offer though Stewart :ok
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Nice bike by the way :ok
My elderly neighbour had exactly the same. She absolutely refused to wear a crash helmet, despite multiple warnings from local bobby called Frank. She compromised by wearing a Sherlock Holmes style deer stalkers hat with the tie under your chin flaps. Frank gave in.
Happy policing days of the late 60's and 70's.
I must have been somewhat influenced. I bought the Sports version in 1976.
Maxstu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Dobble wrote:That's similar to the design I'm basing mine on. Typical I've just ordered the steel. Really appreciate the offer though Stewart :ok

No problem. Offer's there to help anytime, Ben.
Super cool mounting it on front. Seen a few in the US.
Maxstu

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

I had a few Maxi's at different times when I was a kid. While looking for this one I was surprised how much of a cult following these peds have now. The good thing is that parts are still easily obtainable and relatively cheap.

This one is the base model and doesn't have rear suspension, that'll be fun if I hit a pothole. I guess I'd have plenty of time to see it and react though as I think the top end is less than 30 :D
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

PeteandNikki
80-90 Mem No: 13990

Post by PeteandNikki »

Remember buying an old one in early 80’s for £20 just to zip about the lanes and to my mates house. No hat no tax no insurance... life in the country!!! Cut it up and used the wheels to make a rickshaw for a ‘young farmers club’ charity race in the end!

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

I bought one in the mid 90's for £10 as a non runner. It was the first vehicle I owned with an engine, got it running and use to ride it down green lanes etc. They fetch a good price now though. I took mine for a run down the lanes today as I had been tinkering with the carb (it was four stroking at full throttle), I felt ridiculous riding it and had to laugh out loud. It feels surprisingly nippy though.
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Anything like that just makes me think of the awful French exchange "experience" at school.
Is it still compulsory to wear a violently coloured shell suit and/or baggy stone washed jeans, with a stripey t-shirt, listening to Johnny Halliday on a cheap walkman, whilst riding a Puch?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

PeteandNikki wrote:Remember buying an old one in early 80’s for £20 just to zip about the lanes and to my mates house. No hat no tax no insurance... life in the country!!! Cut it up and used the wheels to make a rickshaw for a ‘young farmers club’ charity race in the end!

Happy day's eh? I have a constant reminder of my Sports version. A rather cool scar above my right knee. Doing my best Steve McQueen imitation, l crashed mine riding over fields called the Five Arches. 43 years' later on that scar aches like mad every rainy day. Better than any tattoo though :P
Maxstu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

silverbullet wrote:Anything like that just makes me think of the awful French exchange "experience" at school.
Is it still compulsory to wear a violently coloured shell suit and/or baggy stone washed jeans, with a stripey t-shirt, listening to Johnny Halliday on a cheap walkman, whilst riding a Puch?

You've not met Ben, then? :rofl
Maxstu

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

maxstu wrote:
silverbullet wrote:Anything like that just makes me think of the awful French exchange "experience" at school.

You've not met Ben, then? :rofl

:rofl Actually I have a bluetooth speaker rather than a Walkman :ok
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

Echo all the posts..
very inspiring, although I do like the Honda C90.
Some advantages you have there:
Good rear end for sturdy panniers
Ride it on the bike lanes in some European places
Love the SDP connection
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Tristar AHU
Danbury AGG

Dobble

Post by Dobble »

I considered a C90 as they carry a pillion and have a few more cc's. The reason I chose the Maxi was because they are a bit lighter at 48 kg's and the C90 is about 80ish, the Honda's are a more expensive for a decent one and with the Maxi I like the connection with Graz.
1987 T25 AAZ RHD Syncro
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

great idea looking forward to seeing it on the back :ok