Little Red Caravelle

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Little Red Caravelle

Post by irishkeet »

Front diff out yesterday, been painted red at some point in the past......took ages, you can see why from the state of the mounts, will be fitting new mounts when it goes back in.

I now know why the front diff has not been working :shock: but at least the actuator is all good. I have spent ages trying to get the speedo drive out with no joy. Roll pin is out and I can get it to turn but its very stiff, Im considering (@ weem machine's suggestion) taking the nose off to access it from inside.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

is the red paint not just overspray from the body work
speedo drive thread is 22mm x 1.5mm you can get nuts to fit online, some wagons use m22 fine for wheel nuts too
you can sometimes pry speedo out from inside using a strong but thin knife blade to get it started then once gap is big enough a prybar, then two prybars prying against the stop pin but if the sleeve is badly corroded in the case you can struggle; I have an adaptor to use a slide hammer to pull them out
you are going to have to open the diff end of the unit up as well to remove the difflock to free that up, remove the rollpin from the inside then take out the whole pin and sleeve, separate and ream out the corrosion from inside the sleeve, clean up the pin with wet and dry or similar and then ream the two parts together with lots of oil till you can push it in with your pinkie and the spring pushes it back out
I do have stainless sleeve in stock if the sleeve won't clean up and allow a decent circlip groove to be made, also stainless difflock pins and steel rollpins for all applications

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Stainless speedo sleeve? In an alloy casing? Two things occur to me:

1. Stainless is not a bearing material (risk of the steel speedo pinion shaft "picking up" or cold welding, unless they have polymer faced bearings in the bore)
2. risk of local galvanic corrosion to the case.

Either way, you're making problems long-term.

I really must look at making a few from wrought bronze and testing them.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

thanks for all the help & advice, much appreciated :ok

Yesterday was most spent (on & off) working the pin which is moving pretty well now and its cleaned up well. Its not at the stage where the spring is pushing it out on it own but not too far away either. (fingers crossed)

I hoping the sleeve will clean up enough to allow a decent circlip groove to be made, if not Ill have to remove it all, found a good photo which helps to make sense of it all laid out

Sealant ordered for resealing the nose as it will have to be removed to get the speedo out.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Whoops! Crossed wires with another topic...

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

I can now push the diff pin in with my finger and it pops out again which is great :mrgreen: so I decided to celebrate by spending 2hrs under the van with a tray of diesel a toothbrush, a scrubbing brush and a load of rags, time for a beer....

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

the final switch arrived on Saturday, they are exactly the same as the original from the front (original on right)

Slightly different on the back with another connector. £17 for 4 in total so a lot cheaper then the aftermarket replacement available, and original.

All fitted with working windows, happy days :mrgreen:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

while crawling around under the van I have been gathering together the various codes......

Front Diff

Van info sticker states the original engine was MV....

Gearbox code matches the white info sticker...

Engine code. Talking with the previous owner the engine was replaced with a recon unit from Just Kampers back in 2009. I have the a garage bill for £800 which includes the installation of the engine but no receipt for the engine itself. I might drop JK an email and see if they still have the paperwork.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

WOW JK got back super quick saying "Apologies due to the Age of the order I can’t produce a copy invoice, but this is a screenshot of the order " SO I now have the paperworj for the recon engine installed in 2009 :mrgreen:

It was Just Kamper's part number J11756 - https://www.justkampers.com/025-100-031 ... -1992.html Costing £2010.00 including VAT @ 15% (back in the day) :mrgreen:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

so................got the nose off the diff and I can not get the feckin speedo drive to move for love nor money. I made an angled bit of metal I can get in the gap in front of the drive and tap but no movement at all.....anyone got any ideas, also anyone know where I can buy the original white speedo drive or do I opt for Ian's bronze replacement from bricky?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Well its minced the pinion so the spindle has seized in the sleeve. Will need re-reaming to 10.0mm once you get it out.
Heat the casing and say a prayer?

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I can send you the end of a speedo cable which you can screw on and then pry against using the case and two pry bars/jemmys, when you screw it on you will be able to put rotational force on which should break the bimetallic corrosion between the sleeve and the case which are marginally different metals, plenty of plus gas put some on the sleeve on the inside of the case and it will wick in and some on the outside

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

silverbullet wrote:Well its minced the pinion so the spindle has seized in the sleeve. Will need re-reaming to 10.0mm once you get it out.
Heat the casing and say a prayer?

Cheers Ian :ok

Aidan wrote:I can send you the end of a speedo cable which you can screw on and then pry against using the case and two pry bars/jemmys, when you screw it on you will be able to put rotational force on which should break the bimetallic corrosion between the sleeve and the case which are marginally different metals, plenty of plus gas put some on the sleeve on the inside of the case and it will wick in and some on the outside

Cheers Aidan that would be great, I have dropped you an email, have started with the plus gas already :ok

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Bricky power steering kit fitted today, not a job I had on the list until I saw the interesting repair that had been done in the past, felixi rubber pipe connected to one of the steel pipes and the old bit just capped and bent out of the way..... :roll:

They were definitely in need of changing :shock: Bricky kit fitted perfectly

Gary.
80-90 Mem No: 15521

Post by Gary. »

irishkeet wrote:thanks for all the help & advice, much appreciated :ok

Yesterday was most spent (on & off) working the pin which is moving pretty well now and its cleaned up well. Its not at the stage where the spring is pushing it out on it own but not too far away either. (fingers crossed)

I hoping the sleeve will clean up enough to allow a decent circlip groove to be made, if not Ill have to remove it all, found a good photo which helps to make sense of it all laid out

Sealant ordered for resealing the nose as it will have to be removed to get the speedo out.

Going back a bit here, but my rear diff lock pin does not self-return. Can I take the whole part off without messing with the gearbox?
Gary.

1990 Syncro doka (RHD), 1.6TD.