Little Red Caravelle

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Little Red Caravelle

Post by irishkeet »

DoubleOSeven wrote:Great to see it going back to ‘standard’. Good work, you have taste and an eye for detail.
Many thanks :ok

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Well its been a good weekend working on the van, Central locking fixed and working on all doors now, electric mirrors and windows also working well again.

Drivers window worked but was so slow. It was fiddly getting the motor and regulator out....

Drivers side cleaned up well, the excellent Van-Again video was a great help. Now working really well :mrgreen:

Passenger side was completely seized I had to remove the motor and then use a screwdriver to lower the window enough to access the bolts to remove it. Years of gunk....

Both doors all cleaned up, wiring back in place and new outer scrapers and window seals, ready for a new vapour barrier. New window switches ordered as the current ones are all a bit hit & miss.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

...good few days on the van, chrome bumpers finally fitted front & rear, it took a while to source a rear chrome bumper, it came on Oldiebut goodie's old van I bought last month, its not perfect but it cleaned up well. :mrgreen:

The blower was dead so its was time to replace it and have a good clean up....

no major surprises, a small amount of add-on wiring to remove but otherwise all good

a very small amount of surface rust which was cleaned and treated, very tidy which is great to know

Dash cleaned up lovely too

Nearly there, centre panel is left off so I can have a play with the diffs and test everything before refitting....

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Those bumpers have seen some hard use - neighbour kept driving into them as well as the nudges that I had! I think that I cleaned them once in all the time that I had the van. Certainly look better on that van than they did on mine. You didn't save the special tow ball with the drop pin did you? - hard to get hold of them but very useful.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Those bumpers have seen some hard use - neighbour kept driving into them as well as the nudges that I had! I think that I cleaned them once in all the time that I had the van. Certainly look better on that van than they did on mine. You didn't save the special tow ball with the drop pin did you? - hard to get hold of them but very useful.
It was only the rear bumper from your van I used, didnt keep the towbar the buyer was too nice to remove it lol

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Rear syncro badge in an unusual location, should be below the model badge?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

silverbullet wrote:Rear syncro badge in an unusual location, should be below the model badge?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Good eyes Ian, indeed it is in the wrong position, its on the list to move, its nice that it is the original 'larger' Syncro badge too. Decals at the front will also be replaced for the correct colour and the Syncro bonnet badge is also in the wrong position too :roll:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

irishkeet wrote: Decals at the front will also be replaced for the correct colour and the Syncro bonnet badge is also in the wrong position too :roll:

shouldn't have 4wd on doors as a 'velle, just the front decal, probably in anthracite rather than silver, subtler

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Aidan wrote:
irishkeet wrote: Decals at the front will also be replaced for the correct colour and the Syncro bonnet badge is also in the wrong position too :roll:

shouldn't have 4wd on doors as a 'velle, just the front decal, probably in anthracite rather than silver, subtler

cheers Aidan, I was going for the silver decals as I am using this one as a guide, I also agree the anthracite would look better, decisions, decisions :roll:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

All ready for this weekends jobs, speedo not working, drive not turning with wheels, front & rear diffs not engaging, engine oil & filters, rocker cover gaskets....but to name a few.... :mrgreen:

Bigjcc55
80-90 Mem No: 10140

Post by Bigjcc55 »

Nice ramps!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
1985 1.9 Devon moonraker
1992 2.1 SA big window syncro

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Bigjcc55 wrote:Nice ramps!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Local guy called Paul on had a piccy pf his van like this to get the gearbox out, great idea :)

hardwick53
80-90 Mem No: 15710

Post by hardwick53 »

That looks great Keith. You didn't mention you had another in the yard to work on. Hope you're all keeping well. Pat

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD (JX) pop-top

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

What are the 5 relays and 2 fuses on the right hand side for. The only factory items I have seen there is cruise.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

4x4 Bus wrote:What are the 5 relays and 2 fuses on the right hand side for. The only factory items I have seen there is cruise.

Not 100% sure Russell, unusually the van does not have cruise. I wondered if its for the heated drivers eat, central locking etc....here is a closer photo...or have they moved some of the bits across to allow space for the webasto dash controller which is just above the fuse box?

There is also a second battery tray under the rear pass seat , beside the ECU with wiring for a second battery, I wondered if some might be for this too.