Fitting a syncro fuel tank

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Fitting a syncro fuel tank

Post by pkrboo »

I have a 2wd DOKA and have acquired a petrol syncro fuel tank.(thanks daivoft1)When i convert to subaru power with RJES bellhousing i will fit this tank.

It is from a carb petrol syncro, so, as i will be fitting it to a fuel inecjtion engine i think there was an internal filter on the injection tanks? (if thats even still available?) will i need to fit it?

My plan curently is to fit an external filter with 11mm pipe in and out and then into the pump and then to engine. unless poeple say otherwise? whats your thoughts?
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Fitting a syncro fuel tank

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Hi. Firstly you will need to drop the hight of your engine and box for tank to fit. If the tank is from an early 1.9 syncro then you will need the filter and kidney bowl ( swirl chamber). Filter screws into tank and holds kidney bowl in place.

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

hadn't thought about the difference in engine/box heights.

is the kidney bowl and filter available?
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Parts are no longer available.

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

ill stick with the external filter only then. just need to check height of the gearbox
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The in-tank strainer is important, its what protects the pump from muck going through its bearings and pump vanes.

For reference, this is what the fuel return anti-surge "dish" and strainer look like.

Got to ask: why fit a syncro fuel tank to a 2wd?Image

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

Hello pkrboo,

I had the same problem when buying a Syncro fuel tank, I later discovered that I needed the swirl pot and strainer. The strainer has a part number but is NLA and the swirl pot does not have a part no. therefore must come as a job-lot when injection tanks were manufactured. I ended up sourcing them separately in the end.

As pointed out, it prevents the fuel pump being starved when going around corners etc...

I am also curious as to why your fitting the tank and are you going to fit the fuel filler panel too as per the donor Syncro/

Syncro conversion or duel fuel tanks?
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

I'm going to a Subaru engine and I would have needed to change tanks anyway as mine is an old, leaky probably rusty diesel tank.

So I acquired this tank cheap, its a bigger capacity. Means I am one step closer to a Syncro conversion if I go that route

I won't be going round corners fast but I may look at a swirl pot maybe. I will put a fuel filter pre pump.

I think mk1 golf's had a separate fuel pump and swirl pot type affair.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

Plus i like the idea of higher ground clearance, if i fit a gearbox with a locking diff i will be "trying" to do some greenlaning 2d stylee

Yes I am fitting the Doka filler in the rear side panel.
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

In that case you'll need a packer between the trans nose mount and the rear crossmember* and 45mm packers for each end of the engine bar (to make them the same as wbx syncro)
Then give it a lift.

*no idea of how thick that needs to be

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

silverbullet wrote:The in-tank strainer is important, its what protects the pump from muck going through its bearings and pump vanes.

For reference, this is what the fuel return anti-surge "dish" and strainer look like.

Got to ask: why fit a syncro fuel tank to a 2wd?Image

The kidney dish has me thinking about fitting a small aluminum tray inside the tank to act as the 'surge dish' istead of the plastic kidney dish

An MOD Mess tin may do the trick hole drilled on for the oulet and the return and 1 in each corner for fuel to flow in and out? or even a stainless steel camping bowl could work too i reckon?
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

The dish is held down by the filter, which has a male threaded spigot and screws into the tank. All tanks are threaded, its standard metric (coarse) about M14 iirc
The fuel return pipe on the level sender has a hose that simply goes through a hole drilled in the side of the dish.
It's pretty tight on space, hence the odd shape.

pkrboo

Post by pkrboo »

silverbullet wrote:The dish is held down by the filter, which has a male threaded spigot and screws into the tank. All tanks are threaded, its standard metric (coarse) about M14 iirc
The fuel return pipe on the level sender has a hose that simply goes through a hole drilled in the side of the dish.
It's pretty tight on space, hence the odd shape.

thnaks for the info, i best take the sneder out and see what space tehre is for something "aftermarket"

did you ever make any filters, i think i read a thread where you were looking at recreating the coarse filter?
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

AIR_CHILLED
80-90 Mem No: 15708

Post by AIR_CHILLED »

pkrboo wrote:I'm going to a Subaru engine and I would have needed to change tanks anyway as mine is an old, leaky probably rusty diesel tank.

So I acquired this tank cheap, its a bigger capacity. Means I am one step closer to a Syncro conversion if I go that route

I won't be going round corners fast but I may look at a swirl pot maybe. I will put a fuel filter pre pump.

I think mk1 golf's had a separate fuel pump and swirl pot type affair.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ok that sound like a really cool project. A Syncro conversion is as good as a bolt on upgrade for these vans should you later decide to go down that route, permanent and irreversible modification side :ok

A lifted Doka with Locking rear diff should be a very capable machine, the ground clearance when my lifted 2wd van was much better than in it's Syncro form.

For my next project I would love to find a 2wd Doka (Tristar or Jagdwagen would be nice!) and do a Syncro conversion on that but in stages to spread the cost.
1988 Vanagon GL Westfalia Syncro (2wd to 4wd conversion)

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Re: filter, I'll try and remember to measure this one before the tank is refitted and see what is possible.