Missy the rhd Syncro “velle” tdi

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
jamiegolf
80-90 Mem No: 17083

Re: Missy the rhd Syncro “velle” tdi

Post by jamiegolf »

well....
went in this morning and got the correct bolts for the bellhousing and starter, got it bolted up fully and threw the rear shafts on, to see if it would move!! we have a running and driving van again!! so out it went this morning to get on with some paid work,

until about 4pm............

front diff installed, propshaft on, decoupler connected, we now have a 4wd van again!!

we even got time throw the new front carpet in too!

having some issue with the current starter motor at the moment tho,
sounds to be the gear mesh is too tight and making a horrible noise, after chatting with russel johnson and tim shettle tonight it appears im using the incorrect starter, but luckily i think have the correct one on a donor car outside the yard, so thats coming off tomorrow and guna give that a try.

ordered a few bits from brickwerks tonight, got a mix match of cv bolts around the van and the front diff lock actuator is not perfect, reverse light switch is faulty, and a few other small bits.

ive also bee looking in to options for the throttle potentiometer, currently its fitted in the engine bay via a long cable (that needs replacing) so im thinking of shortening the cable, mounting the throttle pot under the drivers seat, and running a much shorter cable to it, yes it means extending the wiring for the plug (im soon to be rewiring the engine loom as its a mess) and the engine bay is quite busy anyway and i think it would be wise to keep the pot on the inside of the van in the dry? any thoughts?
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

http://Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

well....
went in this morning and got the correct bolts for the bellhousing and starter, got it bolted up fully and threw the rear shafts on, to see if it would move!! we have a running and driving van again!! so out it went this morning to get on with some paid work,

until about 4pm............

front diff installed, propshaft on, decoupler connected, we now have a 4wd van again!!

we even got time throw the new front carpet in too!

having some issue with the current starter motor at the moment tho,
sounds to be the gear mesh is too tight and making a horrible noise, after chatting with russel johnson and tim shettle tonight it appears im using the incorrect starter, but luckily i think have the correct one on a donor car outside the yard, so thats coming off tomorrow and guna give that a try.

ordered a few bits from brickwerks tonight, got a mix match of cv bolts around the van and the front diff lock actuator is not perfect, reverse light switch is faulty, and a few other small bits.

ive also bee looking in to options for the throttle potentiometer, currently its fitted in the engine bay via a long cable (that needs replacing) so im thinking of shortening the cable, mounting the throttle pot under the drivers seat, and running a much shorter cable to it, yes it means extending the wiring for the plug (im soon to be rewiring the engine loom as its a mess) and the engine bay is quite busy anyway and i think it would be wise to keep the pot on the inside of the van in the dry? any thoughts?
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

http://Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Use a pedal potentiometer for throttle. Keep original pedal and use it to operate the arm of the potentiometer. Less to go wrong.

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

4x4 Bus wrote:Use a pedal potentiometer for throttle. Keep original pedal and use it to operate the arm of the potentiometer. Less to go wrong.
yes thats what im thinking, but by running a short cable to under the driver seat area instead of the engine bay, keeps the cable short, and keeps the potentiometer dry inside the van.
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

hey all, more work done recently, due to the workshop being on lockdown due to this virus thing, kids not in school, wife is a key worker, so having to stay home and look after kids, but i have managed to escape the house a couple of times to get some syncro work done,
so first job was to swap out all the wheel studs to get the new wheel setup fitted

15 inch mercedes penta's wrapped in 235/75/15 bfg mud terrains

swapping out the wheel studs all round to get the new wheels fitted

new discovery2 +2 rear shocks and lift kit ready to fit

also done a quick job of refurbing the rear badges, nothing special. quick coat of satin black and a going over with a chrome pen

also modified the original (badly fitted !!) throttle potentiomenter, was originally fitted to one of the gearbox studs, and as i changed adapter it didnt fit anymore! cable was also very stiff, so something needed to be done,

i modified the original potentiometer bracket i had and sourced a short universal throttle cable, mounted the pot under the drivers seat and routed a new cable to the pedal linkage, works well, pedal feels good, nice resistance to it, not to heavy or to light, so then set about extending the wiring to the rear of the van, nice simple job.

then set about swapping the turbo, as it was fitted with a wastegate'd turbo from a 90bhp tdi so wasnt boosting correctly, managed to source the correct vnt-15 turbo for a decent price on ebay, straight swap really, only modificastion was clocking the cold side around to match up the boost pipes,

On another note, i also got the timing belt, water pump, oil and filter changed today too,

Only thing left to do before its first mot in ten years is build a full exhaust for it, so thats the next job on the list.

more to come soon........
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Bit more done today, the new engine wiring loom has been spread out again, decided I needed to get my head around d it, so out came the diagrams, new spread sheet of needed wires and colours set up on the laptop, almost complete now, Had it rigged up on the floor and connected to a diag dongle, managed to get comms with it first time! So looking good, new relay bases and fuse holders on the way to make a tidy job of wiring it up, Guna take the loom to the van tomorrow and lay it out to see if I can work out it’s shape and configuration, also got exhaust parts on the way, they should also be arriving tomorrow, so can figure out how that’s going to run too........Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Not very productive today, got down to work and took the loom with Me, laid it out around the engine bay and figured out wiring routs and component locations, came hone and started cutting and soldering one obd port added at the back of the van with cables to run forward to run one under the dash too, removed wiring for asv and egr valve solenoids, wired it up and can get comms with vcds, can carry out output tests, added pins into the ecu for eml and glow plug led’s Image

Also removed that horrible red stripe down the side!!!Image

Started making the exhaust too, made the downpipe and got it pointing towards the back, awaiting a box to arrive.......

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

Looking great mate well done :ok

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Lift kit has arrived! So straight down to work I go to get it fitted. So 30mm spacers for the back along with the discovery+2 shocks, and 2wd front springs with spacer tube and ball joint extenders......Image

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Missy the rhd Syncro “velle” tdi

Post by jamiegolf »

Well that’s it, done ready for its first mot in ten years, quite the transformation in 6 months of ownership, but still haven’t actually driven it yet, still lots to do, bumpers to modify, rock sliders to fabricate, rear wheel carrier to fit and replicate for another for the other side, wiring loom to replace, can now get on with it as I have my fuse holders and relay bases.Image
Hopefully going in for mot on Monday, can then get it home and carry on!

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Bob Campbell's van still there :shock:

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Aidan wrote:Bob Campbell's van still there :shock:
Yeah, all done, he was planning to collect it last weekend, but due to current situations he couldn’t make it, we got it mot’d at Xmas!! Done a good 100-150 miles road testing in it, all good, few small niggles, but nothing major,

Managed to secure myself a swing away rear wheel carrier this weekend too, and got stuck into the wiring of the relays and fuses, Image
One maxi fuse for glow plug relay, one to feed 109 relay, three fuses to isolate various components fed by the 109 relay.

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Well we finally have mot! Yay!! So first proper road test was to get her home for the first time, no dramas, apart from working out I had the wrong speedo fitted (805 instead of a 1600) and the distinct lack of boost! So set about changing the engine harness, after having it in and out several times to check lengths and connections it’s done, onto brake switch and eml/glow plug light wiring today, Image

Also while I was doing the loom I decided to remove about 20 inches of bunched up cables to tidy it up,

As in now have obd connection I could check the injection timing with vcds, needless to say it’s damn close!

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Brake switch wiring sorted, (thanks andy @ syncrosports) he sent me a diagram that uses a 5 pin relay to activate both switches. Got my led’s fitted in my cluster, fitted my spare rev counter and foil, think I need a module to convert the ecu signal output to drive the rev counter tho, as it doesn’t move.....
also did some diagnosis into the lack of boost on the initial road test home, even after changing the loom it’s the same, turns out the maf was faulty,
so hunted one down, swapped it over yesterday and all is well again! Pulls reusable well, slight lag of boost low down, but after some data logging it looks like the turbo vnt could need adjusting, as it looks to be a bit on the low side,

Still have plenty more wiring to sort, I need to run a length of 7 (or 13) core to the front to connect up the vss, front obd port, eml and glow plug lights and also the clutch switch. I think then the wiring is finished? It will be nice to have the ecu working as intended with no error codes, once all The wiring is done we can delete the codes related to the missing module communication, egr and asv open circuit (deleted wiring and valves).

So. Not a massively productive day,
but plodding on,
looks like I also have a fuel leak, coming from the tank sender return pipe, must have damaged it when refitting the tank, so new sender and seals on order last night [POUTING FACE] ah well......
wheel carrier should be here before the end of the week too....Image

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

Well after trying every configuration with the older throttle potentiometer I just couldn’t get it to work correctly, getting random codes for throttle position out of range, throttle 1/2 power ect, so today set about fitting the original dbw pedal into the van, not what I wanted to do but there we go. was quite simple to be honest, stumbled accords a picture online of someone who had done the same thing and he had put pictures up of the bracket he had made, really simple too! So I made a similar bracket and got it in,

Rerouted some cables and took it for a road test, and I can confirm it’s much MUCH better!

Originally the pedal had a sweet spot about half way and after that it felt as if you were backing off then power, so knew it wasn’t right.

Swapped to the correct pedal for this ecu and it’s accelerates like it should, needs a slight adjustment on the turbo. But it’s coming.

Still Awaiting my new fuel level sender and rpm module, Guna be Tuesday after the bank Holiday now, so atleast it will give me something to do next week [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi