Missy the rhd Syncro “velle” tdi

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
jamiegolf
80-90 Mem No: 17083

Re: Missy the rhd Syncro “velle” tdi

Post by jamiegolf »

well managed to get to the workshop today to get some bits and pieces done on the velle today,
got the old petrol tank removed, sender swapped over and then managed to break both tank vent valves upon removing them from the old tank :x :x so two of those on order tonight from vw heritage, so that jobs on hold untill new parts arrive,
stripped, cleaned and inspected front brakes, stripped, cleaned and adjusted rear brakes and replaced both seized wheel cylinders,
fitted and wired up led number plate lamps,
run front to rear vac lines for the decoupler and checked all diff lock wiring,
checked all ligths and wipers, looks like i need a rear wiper motor as its dead :lol: :lol:
replace all front anti roll bar bushes and replace both outer cv boot clips

found that 2 of the three steering rubber couplings are badly perished too, so ordered 3 of those to be replaced,

also got load sof small bits done and checked over, loads of excess wiring removed from the old petrol/lpg system, redundant spotlight wiring, old broken speaker wiring to the front doors,
almost ready for the gearbox and front diff to come back now and it should be ready for the road!!

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

http://Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

more done today........
smoked front indicators fitted, diesel fuel tank fitted with its new breasther valves, filler refitted and mounted correctly,

is there supose to be a rubber seal around the filler near the fuel cap that secures to the filler surround?

also fitted my old doka wheels for now these have legal tread and will be fine for mot, asi had 3 14 inch bfg's and one odd wheel and tyre.
ive got new wheels to fit anyway, just waiting for them to arrive, they will go for a refurb and then some fresh bfg rubber wrapped round them!!

few pics for ya.
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

http://Www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Yes, the filler neck should have a rubber seal to the plastic surround. Someone found one that's a close match as the original is NLA iirc?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

well bit more work done this week,
upon inspecting the tdi wiring loom in the engine bay i decided its a total mess and full of scotch locks and screw terminals blocks, no obd plug, no glow plug relay or wiring!! there is fuses with uninmsulated spade connectors just hanging in the bay, so i set upon the task to finding a replacment loom.
So after a few calls i found a suitable donor, a 2002 seat toledo 1.9 tdi for the loom donor, so pulled the loom and ecu from it last night, got it home and set about figuring out whats what.
the ecu is different, due to the orignal in the bus is an 80 pin and the toledo is a 121 pin, after plenty of researching, the engine itself is the same, same inj pump, same sensors, the only difference in the loom is more extras, cruise control, ac, canbus ect ect.
plenty of info online regarding swapping an 80 pin ecu to 121 as thr ecu is much more tunable, can reflash the ecu using the obd plug not a chip change.
also i found some info reagrding the throttle pedal, it looks like i can still use the old style throttle pot setup instead of the toledo dbw pedal. saves mounting a dbw pedal in the cabin,

orignal 80 pin ecu

new 121 pin toledo ecu

new toy made easy work of labeling up the required cables for the conversion,

edc15 ecu pinout sourced, loom laid out and checking what i need to keep and what can go.....

i was planning on sending the loom away to have this work done, but as i have some free time im confident i can do it myself, ive done looms before for my own vehicles so im happy i can make it work.
it will keep features like: clutch pedal switch, eml light, glow plug light, glow plug wiring :lol: :lol: add in proper fusebox's and relay plate for the 109 and 1-03 relay.
i plan to add the brake switch and a vss into the cluster later on once its up and running, so if i decide later on to add cruise control then the option will be there.
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

gearbox collected from aidan today (many thanks aidan) be getting onto getting it trial fitted, clearance the bellhousing for the dual mass and then onto modifying engine mounts to get the angle correct.
mpore later this week..........

T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

mattlad
80-90 Mem No: 17074

Post by mattlad »

Nice one- pick my ‘box up from Aidan yesterday and hope to fit it tomorrow. I should
Be back on the road then- wooot

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

mattlad wrote:Nice one- pick my ‘box up from Aidan yesterday and hope to fit it tomorrow. I should
Be back on the road then- wooot
Sweet! Should have mine in this week, need to adjust my engine mounts at the same time
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

well its been a while since the last update,
pushed the syncro into the workshop last night, ready to get the gearbox back in today, paul of Vantopia dropped by this morning to drop off my front diff on his way to aidans,
so we had a good chat and then got to work,

fitted the dmf and had the bellhousing on and off about 4 times to get the clearance needed,

few pics of the modified engine mounts, this one had to be lowered

this one needed to be raised, the stud is just temporary untill i can get some more material to make up a spacer,

and a few pics of the engine and gear box in the bus finally!!

thats it for this weekend, ran out of time and didnt have the correct bolts for the bellhousing to adapter, so off the machine shop monday to get the correct bits, can then get the starter and its adapater fitted and it should be running, can then move onto the front end and get the diff fitted along with the prop and the rest of the gubbins!.
more soon..........
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

cracking on Jamie :mrgreen:

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

irishkeet wrote:cracking on Jamie :mrgreen:
Yup, fed up of walking past it everyday with it looking sorry for itself! And the gearbox has been in my workshop in the floor for about 3 weeks! Just not had any time to get it in, so been at it all day today, made some good progress, the rest it pretty much bolt on parts now, (should be) no modifying now, just keep bolting bits on untill it’s complete
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

jamiegolf wrote:
Yup, fed up of walking past it everyday with it looking sorry for itself! And the gearbox has been in my workshop in the floor for about 3 weeks! Just not had any time to get it in, so been at it all day today, made some good progress, the rest it pretty much bolt on parts now, (should be) no modifying now, just keep bolting bits on untill it’s complete

nice one look forward to seeing it, maybe a little welsh meet this year? Ive finally got started on the red one :)

jamiegolf

Post by jamiegolf »

irishkeet wrote:
jamiegolf wrote:

nice one look forward to seeing it, maybe a little welsh meet this year? Ive finally got started on the red one :)

Arnt we having the Syncro/puch meet in August sometime??
T3 westfalia 2.2
T3 Syncro caravelle gl
Mk1 jetta 4motion tfsi

jebiga41
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5654

Post by jebiga41 »

Great to see it's coming together and you got most of it together considering the day that's in it and how cold it was. Great to catch up today and see in in a muddy field in a few months :ok
VW T3/T25 and Syncro Gearbox rebuilds
http://vantopia.ie

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

FWIW, the fabricators I use for "proper" work say that those sumps do not weld at all well, pretty much impossible to work on. They are die-cast from high zinc content monkey metal, so the zinc just boils off as you strike arc and it blows the ali out with it...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Better to use the steel based sump. Aswell as being better for impact it allows you acess into the engine without having to remove the gearbox. Also gives you a little more ground clearance.