Engine options

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
davidoft1
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Engine options

Post by davidoft1 »

Morning folks

Due to having a very rotten syncro and a very clean caravelle I’ve decided to convert my caravelle to a syncro, this is slightly complicated by the caravelle being 2.1dj petrol automatic and the syncro being diesel, I have every nut bolt and washer to convert to diesel. the engine is already an aaz, new cambelt, gearbox has had work in the last few years , seems to drive ok, engine runs sweet , original fuel pump too, sooooooo

My question is which way would you go, diesel, or petrol, gearbox and diff may need work on ratios if going petrol I suppose , diesel much better on fuel

Some say diesel is very noisy ?, I run a Westy diesel , seems ok to me

Thought opinions etc ?

Thanks

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Engine options

Post by clift_d »

Unless you've got a really good reason to go the other way then I'd stick with whatever the Syncro is currently, i.e. diesel, otherwise you'll have a whole bunch of additional work to do and some extra parts to find. If you go diesel then, as you you've already noted, you'll pretty much have everything you need already.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

mattlad
80-90 Mem No: 17074

Post by mattlad »

Hi Mr Oft

Sounds like a good project. Can’t see why a diesel in a syncro would be any different to in your westy really.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Run the AAZ until it goes pop, then swap it for a more modern petrol I4?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

davidoft1

Post by davidoft1 »

silverbullet wrote:Run the AAZ until it goes pop, then swap it for a more modern petrol I4?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

14 inch syncro yes, but I have a spare too :D

davidoft1

Post by davidoft1 »

I was also after peoples experiences of diesel over petrol and fors and againsts etc

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

I went from a 1.6T JX high top westy to a 1.8T AGU hightop syncro.

In my experience the JX was reliable although very slow. The lack of power was fine when I developed the patience. I always fancied a TDI conversion but was slightly put off by what I read about the effects of the extra torque on the gearbox and drive train. Probably fine with a sympathetic driving style and occasional use, and a high standard conversion. Fuel economy was 30-35mpg.

My westy rusted away beyond repair so rather than restore and convert to TDI I ended up with the 1.8T AGU syncro. The difference between the two is night and day. The petrol is a dream to drive. Really smooth and responsive. It isn’t going to win any races but the power is there if I need it. From what I have read and been told it is easier on the gearbox and drive train than a TDI. I haven’t owned it for long enough/covered enough miles to speak of reliability, s, so far so good. Fuel economy is 20mpg at best. So I end up driving around at the same speed as in the jx anyway!

We use the van for holidays so the price of fuel is just factored into the trip. We generally wildcamp so this saving balances it out for us. Ultimately we want to be spending 1-3months a year away, gradually covering all of Europe and maybe beyond. What your using your van for is a key factor.

I always would have chosen a diesel over petrol previously but now wouldnt swap back. Swings and roundabouts
89 - 1.8T AGU - Hightop SA Syncro

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

did you mount it upright or at 50 degrees?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

lloydy wrote:did you mount it upright or at 50 degrees?

It’s upright. I forgot that raising the engine bay would take a lot of work for the upright install and there would be quite a few other modifications/custom parts required also.

My knowledge is limited as it wasn’t me who installed it, it’s Russell’s fine work. I wouldn’t know where to start!

It Is lovely to drive though
89 - 1.8T AGU - Hightop SA Syncro

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

ah Russel, ok. yes he mounts them upright with his own kit.

DSM
80-90 Mem No: 1274

Post by DSM »

The AGU will fit upright (15 degrees) under the deck lid if you drop the drive train by 20mm but it's a lot of work.

4x4 Bus
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by 4x4 Bus »

Dropping the drive train on a syncro is a massive compromise for obvious reasons. Not great on a 2wd either. I lift the engine bay hight by 50mm on all my conversions to keep ground clearance.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

is the fitting 'kit' something you would ever sell separately? (also seem to remember you looking into using the diesel bellhousing so a dmf can be used?)
although i have a agg here ready to go, im not liking the sound of the reported 21mpg in a syncro

rollercoaster
80-90 Mem No: 6231

Post by rollercoaster »

The 1.8T seems to be a very efficient engine and a real pleasure to drive in a syncro.
Not sure of the mpg but its certainly better than the old 2.1 DJ
Also it is very tunable so I am told, so perhaps it could be more economical if that was what was wanted.

My gear ratios are as they were before, and just about right,
the massive spread of torque means generally less gear changing anyway.

Things are looking grim for diesels in The City, and more exclusion zones are planned..
we may be better off with petrol conversions but please no one hold their breath!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever

Tristar AGU
Danbury AGG

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

yeah, im keeping the diesel for now, ive heard 1.8t get about 23mpg? Which is better than the AGG, but not by too much. my diesel gets 29mpg. I'd quite like to get a engine ready to go, for when diesel gets impossible around here