The Green Syncro Machine

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: The Green Syncro Machine

Post by irishkeet »

silverbullet wrote:The devil is in the detail...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

lol thats also what Gordon said :mrgreen:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Cobra88 wrote:Looking great Keith
:ok

clift_d wrote:The key is using a brass drift on the end of the shaft if you want to ‘persuade’ it to come out, rather than hitting it directly with a hammer. That stops the end of the drive shaft mushrooming and prevents the kind of grief you’ve had.

Cheers Clift, I was aware of using a brass drift but unfortunately the second shaft is a bit of a mess. I've had enough of drive shafts for quite a while now :roll: ......did I mention I'm starting the front end when this is done :mrgreen:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Bigjcc55 wrote:You cleaned that bench before you took that picture, no chance it was that tide after doing cv boots?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LOL I did indeed, I had a massive clean up of the workshop and all the greasy tool handles before I began, the bloody stuff was everywhere :mrgreen:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

a lot easier to use a press to remove the cv joints as per the manual
2wd ones tend to fall off the shafts but Syncro ones benefit from spreading the loads over two axles so tend to be nice fit on the splines

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Aidan wrote:a lot easier to use a press to remove the cv joints as per the manual
2wd ones tend to fall off the shafts but Syncro ones benefit from spreading the loads over two axles so tend to be nice fit on the splines

Yes Aidan the 2WD joints came off very easy, a small press would be a nice addition for the workshop, but......I hope Im not doing this job again for quite some time :wink:

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Well good progress today passenger side all built up and the second driveshaft is finished and ready to install tomorrow and I have a bunch of clean parts to make up a spare shaft :mrgreen:

New Geomet (Bricky) bolts all around (again from the job lot of bits I bought otherwise I would have re-used the originals, obviously new TA bolts, hub nuts and new bearing carrier to TA bolts and new serrated lock washers which I'm happy to replace every time.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Well all done an dusted, I learnt a lot and the old knowledge has improved....done two 20 mile trips, checking things underneath when I returned and all good. Front steering feels a bit light but as the rear alignment will be out I'm too worried about this. Front end starts now :mrgreen:

I found the trailing arm replacement video done by James Akers a great help - https://youtu.be/yC8SCvdxD0g

Last edited by irishkeet on 31 Aug 2019, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Started work on the front yesterday.....I'm back to work Monday so progress will be a bit slower than it was for the rear. The road tax runs out this month so its SORN'd till I get this done, good timing too :mrgreen:

So the plan is to strip, clean and re-bush everything where needed, replace front suspension (standard springs with B6 shocks the same as the rear) check everything and learn more.......

Anti-roll bar and radius rods removed yesterday, the bushes were very hard and the metal was nearly rusted away, caught just in time I think 8)

Thankfully the holes are good and have not worn, just a clean up and a lick of paint required here... :mrgreen:

Rods are in good condition and just need the surface rust removed and painting.

Last edited by irishkeet on 31 Aug 2019, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Early type front suspension. Easier to work on imho.
You'll be going polybush on the radius rods then Keith, the latest black liquorice offerings will split in months in my experience, so save yourself the heartache (unless you have some older NOS ones to hand)

85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

silverbullet wrote:Early type front suspension. Easier to work on imho.
You'll be going polybush on the radius rods then Keith, the latest black liquorice offerings will split in months in my experience, so save yourself the heartache (unless you have some older NOS ones to hand)

Yes mate I was just saying the same to Gordon (weem machine) yesterday , much easier to work on. Yes polybush for the rods, steering rack and damping ring. The anti-roll bar and drop links were done a couple of years ago and new fixings used where needed which is mostly everywhere :wink:

I'm trying to decide abut the wishbones, there is no lateral movement but I have been advised to loosen the bolt at little and test so I will do this. If they are Ok I'll remove and clean up and just refit using a replacement stainless steel eccentric washer. At the moment bricky's advice is not to fit the OEM Lemforder bush on a Syncro as they are a loose fit, the only other option is the poly kit but its nearly £200 so undecided at the moment. Would be good to hear what others think.... :idea

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

.....so with the front end its a lot of cleaning and prepping before painting, radius rods were soaked in a solution overnight to remove surface rust, very happy with the results

as were the anti-roll bar clamps...

below is a photo of the product, just dissolve in water, no smells and its environmentally friendly too :mrgreen: just keep reusing until it stops being effective..

rods now completely cleaned and prepping for painting, spent a long time on the anti-roll bar today which is also coming along well...

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I have used DeoxyC on rusty steel before now, surprisingly effective but needs to be in a warm solution for a decent length of time iirc?

85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

silverbullet wrote:I have used DeoxyC on rusty steel before now, surprisingly effective but needs to be in a warm solution for a decent length of time iirc?

Yes its good stuff saves time and gets into the hard to reach places 8)

Wychall
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Don't forget DeoxGel for items too large to put into your bucket of solution. :ok
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - virgin, not campered! LPG'd
Piloted by Brian.

irishkeet
Trader

Post by irishkeet »

Wychall wrote:Don't forget DeoxGel for items too large to put into your bucket of solution. :ok
:ok