Our syncro Caravelle

For 4x4 owners, you must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
You can find further syncro specific information on the Syncronauts website.
syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Our syncro Caravelle

Post by syncroandy »

The AMP/TE Superseal connectors seem popular and are widely available, on Ebay etc. The contacts are rated to 14A which would be OK for LED lights. VW tended to use the AMP/TE 'Timer' connector family, the 2.8mm version is rated at 20A. If you didn't want to use Ebay, I recently got some Sumitomo connectors for a Subaru application from 'auto-click.co.uk', they should have plenty of options for your job also.

PS. If you do change to a different connector on the dash harness, you may find the first few inches of wire has had corrosion creep along, making it hard to get a decent crimp connection. In this case, I'd recommend just cutting it back, and splice on some fresh wire of the correct spec. It's easy to make a good waterproof wire splice.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I'd like to retain some backwards compatability for emergencies, even just using a JT/Packard plug would be an improvement for the sidelight. Do the early T4 sidelight bulb holders use the same bayonet? I bet they don't...
Maybe I should double up the earths and use a 4-way Packard for each lamp, make a fresh healdlamp harness and that will get rid of all the grotty botching.
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Yes, there's a later sidelight bulb holder with a 'packard' or 2.8mm timer connector, which could be used as an upgrade. I'm not 100% certain it's physically compatible though. It's on my to-do list to check them out, as the stock sidelight socket does corrode badly. If you think you may want to revert to stock lights at a later date, you could always use a short adapter harness to transition from the sealed connector back to normal H4 and sidelight plugs.

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I had some generic JTP connectors leftover from something or other, so they will do the job on the sidelights. Ratchet terminal crimp pliers are one of my better tool investments! I'm sticking with the H4 plugs, some sort of rubber grommet and shrink sleeving will make them a little more weatherproof. I wont need to separate the plug for years, hopefully...
Remade/repaired headlight harness still not done, but every job completed is progress.ImageImage
85 syncro Caravelle twin slider Oettinger T3200E-6
90 SA Microbus supercharged wbx/UN1 project

http://www.025motorsport.com