reversing camera

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dartmoor
80-90 Mem No: 5910

reversing camera

Post by Dartmoor »

Well, to help reversing on our incredibly tight driveway, and to make sure I never crunch on a low wall, I have bought a reversing camera from JK. Has anyone fixed one of these on a T25, and if so, where did you mount the camera, and what did you do with the electrics? I think it needs to attach the reversing lights - but how do you do that?

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Jesus - you didnt think much before you bought it did you! :lol:

I personally would try and get the camera within the bumper or near the reg plate.

The reversing light is that white light that goes on when you reverse (sorry, couldnt resist) - chase the wire back from that, cut into it, solder that and your new wire into it and then cover with heat shrink (or use a scotch lock for a quick dirty job).

I was looking at the wireless ones on ebay - i dont know how they compare with the JK one...

Good luck

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

ringo wrote:(or use a scotch lock for a quick dirty job).

Thats real down and deep dirty that is :lol:

Shocking :wink:
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

ringo

Post by ringo »

Louey wrote:
Thats real down and deep dirty that is :lol:

Shocking :wink:

I know Louey - i shuddered at the though of even typing it. I would never use one - especially not on my tow bar electrics :wink:

Ringo

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I'll be honest, I have all the gear (minicam and monitor) to be able to fit one but I haven't in case some passing opportunist thinks theres anything relating to a sat nav. Window would be smashed in double quick time and that whats put me off. Reversing sensors are more useful I think.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Dartmoor

Post by Dartmoor »

CovKid wrote:I'll be honest, I have all the gear (minicam and monitor) to be able to fit one but I haven't in case some passing opportunist thinks theres anything relating to a sat nav. Window would be smashed in double quick time and that whats put me off. Reversing sensors are more useful I think.

yes, I thought about that. But you can just take the mini monitor off the dash and shove it away somewhere - so there's nothing to see.

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

ringo wrote:
(or use a scotch lock for a quick dirty job).

Thats real down and deep dirty that is Laughing

Shocking

pah! scotch blocks are positively upper class in Derby - cut'n'twist'!! :shock: :wink:
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

ringo

Post by ringo »

dugcati wrote: pah! scotch blocks are positively upper class in Derby - cut'n'twist'!! :shock: :wink:

I know :wink:

Ringo

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

at the risk of being shot down in flames............
whats wrong with the shiney things hanging on the outside of the doors???
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Louey
80-90 Mem No: 1108

Post by Louey »

Mocki wrote:at the risk of being shot down in flames............
whats wrong with the shiney things hanging on the outside of the doors???

[IMG:108:68]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/l ... Gunner.gif[/img]

Wasn't gonna say anything myself - I guess some can reverse them , some can't. Remember the van is only the same length as a family saloon. I actually find it easier manoeuvring the van than most cars except for the lack of PAS.
Louey

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░ 'The only Tranny in the village' ▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Dartmoor

Post by Dartmoor »

Well ok ok, I know what the mirrors are for! But, the window on a van is relatively higher - and in deepest Devon there are nasty low walls hidden in hedges waiting to crunch you. Also, I need to encourage my other half to drive the T25, and she is not great at reversing - a back wheel arch on a Volvo 850 5 years ago, and a back wing more recently on a peugeot. Now I don't really care about the old Volvo - now long gone anyway - but I would rather keep my T25 un-dinted! Hence the query.

Had a ride in a friend's Toyoto Prius recently - now that's a weird thing - it will reverse itself!! Would you trust it??

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

power steering is for girls Louey!
(Daves got it)
take the rear view mirror out, or point it to the floor,pull the rear curtain adjust the door mirror correctly, and within a week you'll be reversing on the door mirrors like youve been doing it for years, you should never turn your head!.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

I have got a reversing camera from Hong Kong on e-bay ("pooh" really) but at 0.34p it was at least cheap, till I had to pay the import duty.

I really cant be bothered to fit it now, it has a bluetooth (yipee) screen which clips to the rear view mirror.

Doesnt the JK one come with some fixing diagrams?

The way I was going to wire it in was to splice into the reversing light feed on the gearbox, use that to trigger a relay, which then switches on the setup. A manual overide would be useful to observe things going on behind when not in reverse, like at the drive through kappa slappa spotting.

When it comes to the position, my pre fitting thoughts were that to have the camera high up, would give a better perspective for ease of reversing. It sounds like JK want you to fit it near the numberplate, perhaps between that and the tail lights on the panel, then the wiring goes straight into the engine bay.

How you getting on with it.

I have also now re-fitted the reversing lights that came on my Ex army bus, two 60watt flood lights, man that makes reversing a doddle, as you can see where you are going as well in reverse as going forwards now. I think this has made much more difference to ease of parking and reversing than the camera.

[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... C00127.jpg[/img]

The Finnish army switch.
[IMG:768:1024]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... C00131.jpg[/img]

Oh god what have I bought??
[IMG]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... C00133.jpg[/img]
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

CovKid wrote:I'll be honest, I have all the gear (minicam and monitor) to be able to fit one but I haven't in case some passing opportunist thinks theres anything relating to a sat nav. Window would be smashed in double quick time and that whats put me off. Reversing sensors are more useful I think.

just occured to me, CovKid, that unless your monitor is from, or for a reversing camera it will be very very diffecult to reverse with, as the images will be incorrect, left to right will be oposite, as the camera will not be seeing mirror image.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Mocki wrote:
just occured to me, CovKid, that unless your monitor is from, or for a reversing camera it will be very very diffecult to reverse with, as the images will be incorrect, left to right will be oposite, as the camera will not be seeing mirror image.
You mean like looking over your shoulder?... Like many most people do?

Have seen and used a few reversing cameras on big motorcoaches and monitor was of over-the-shoulder view. :wink: Screwed my head. Only good use I found for them was for watching a trailer tongue to towbar ball hookup.. and a way to see if everything was riding like it should while on road.

The cameras were all mounted high and center on back.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS