Help....MOT failure....Lights & brake pipes

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncrosimon
80-90 Mem No: 3784

Post by syncrosimon »

Agree totally on the safety aspect, but I would say that I have seen some nice looking copper replacement brake pipes, that on initial inspection appear very nice, but that have failed where the fitter has had to bend the copper more than it could take. The over bending causing a fracture which has failed. The brake lines as fitted by VW are great as long as the don't rust. You stop them rusting by the application of waxoyl. Fitting brake lines correctly is a very difficult task, and most garages wont re-use all the support brackets that VW use, making the nice new shiny lines bounce around, leading to stress fracture. It's one of those jobs that often looks much better than before, but can actually be more dangerous afterwards. Like you say, safety first, but new lines are only as good as the fitter.
1991 16" DJ (sold)
2006 Subaru Outback 3.0R
2010 Yamaha Ténéré
2000 KTM LC400

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

take out fog light switch and check the 'twist' in bulb in the back , also check the contacts are clean.
also try turning it on and wiggling the wires on the back. when they are in/out when the dash is taken to bits the connections might become duff.

i only know as mine did this last week - earth wire is loose in the spade and needs a wiggle!

campervanman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Help....MOT failure....Lights & brake pipes

Post by campervanman »

Have you got the version that uses the indicator switch to turn on the 'parking lights' on one side? You know the one that annoys you because you forget to cancel the indicators you used to indicate when parking up on side of the road.
The problem may be in this area!

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Firstly....., thanks to everyone for their advice & offers of help, switches. Getting sorted slowly. Lights done, Fog light switch in hand.

Secondly.....OMG! :shock: Had ago at getting those rear brake pipes off today...(before the rain came) How hard do they want to make that rear middle connector to get at? :x Getting there though....5 connections down, one to go. Will be getting the oil out from under the nails for the next week!

How much do you charge an hour again CJ? :lol:

Syncro G
80-90 Mem No: 3988

Post by Syncro G »

I suspect your sidelamps don't work because the bulbs or sidelamps at the front aren't working at all. If its a british van it'll have dipdip which puts the dip beam on at reduiced power when the ignition is on with sidelamps, this may be mistaken for sidelamps but its not - look closely and you'll see it produces a beam. Bulbs are 4W baonet type 233.

Think I might be joining you on a brake pipe mission soon, I've already seen where the rear splitter is on a syncro, I'm not looking forward to it!
Glen Syncronaut: 113 - 1992 JX Syncro pannel van

IanMills
80-90 Mem No: 5164

Post by IanMills »

Just adding to this, VW Heritage do Copper /Nickel pipes are these any good and are they already made up to the shape required?

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

Zipper-doo-daa-zipper-dee-aaah!

Passed re-test today!! :D (& the guy didn't charge me the re-test fee! :D )

Out with the old & in with the new..........

[IMG:640:480]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e377/ ... van012.jpg[/img]

Tester......''They've done a smart job here!''
Me...........''Thankyou, very much''
Tester......''Oh, you did it. Thought it was too neat a job for a garage!''

:lol: :lol: Well happy. Cheers everyone for your advice, especially James & Dave.

'Syncro G'.... Yes you're right about the bulbs. :oops: Its a UK van & I didn't know that the park-lights are on a separate circuit. Brake pipes are , as has been said, a pig of a job. but one that gives a sense of well-being/pride when you know its been done right! (sad I know :D)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Just keep an eye on the fluid level for a week or 2 ... just to be extra safe :wink:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

trundletruc
80-90 Mem No: 1225

Brake pipes

Post by trundletruc »

My bus is 1984 and I have replaced my brake pipes. Back ones were seriously bad particularly under the place were they were attached to the body.

Can I point out that you should use special copper alloy brake pipe not copper pipe as this will workharden with the vibration and crack.

Trundletruc.
Trundletruc 1984 DG-DJ Devon Moonraker