2.1DJ - Pertronix Coil any good, or replace with Bosch silver label?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ManicGTI
80-90 Mem No: 17408

2.1DJ - Pertronix Coil any good, or replace with Bosch silver label?

Post by ManicGTI »

Hi all, I'm playing wackamole with running issues on my 1990 2.1DJ T3 acquired this summer.

One of the suggestions on my main thread for poor running/cutting out was to look at replacing the coil in case it's failing once hot, I've taken a look expecting to find the silver or green labelled Bosch, but it appears I have an aftermarket coil fitted, a 3.0ohm Pertronix Flamethrower 2.

I can't make out part number. But looks like it's this one: https://www.justkampers.com/40511-pertr ... -ohms.html

Any thoughts on these? I can't see them listed as a replacement for the T3 anywhere - are they known upgrade or bad choice by previous owner?

I'm happy to ditch it for a new Bosch from BW if that's the most sensible thing to do. Is the silver label coil the right one for the 2.1DJ?

Thanks!
1990 - EJ251 - 5sp AAP - 'Weekender'

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Re: 2.1DJ - Pertronix Coil any good, or replace with Bosch silver label?

Post by weimarbus »

The only time that I have had a breakdown and had to call the AA out was thanks to a Pertronix Flame thrower coil, was described as an all singing,all dancing, resin bonded american off road racing coil, maybe, but it didn't like English Classic trials and stranded me in the middle of Exmoor when trialling the WBX engined buggy :evil:
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

More reading for you...

http://vwt3.com/t3-tech/t3-data/engine- ... 3-2-1l-dj/

Either green or grey/silver will suffice. Just as long as their primary and secondary resistance meets spec.
I have a spare grey in spec at your disposal if needed. P.0.7/S.7.4 And a green coil just on the borders of spec. P.0.7/S.3.7
But should be good enough for elimination purposes Again, if you need to use it and return.
Ive just checked both...

MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

ManicGTI

Post by ManicGTI »

Sorry for not responding quicker!

3 kids under 5 means i'm basically grabbing small windows every now and then to look at this!

Thank you for the offer maxstu, I have another friend sending me a green label (not checked) that i'll test and throw on to start with. I've messaged BW to see if they can shed any light on the actual reasoning/impact of the spec changes from green to grey.  A doubling in secondary coil resistance must mean the output is different.

Mine is an 'L' year van (late 89/early 90), so from ETKA would appear to have had a green label part (Bosch PN ...0349).

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

they are interchangeable, no other part of the ignition system changed ; one is the golf spec one, one a the T3 spec one, both do the same job, I reckon it was down to supplier issues that the grey ones got used on our vans

ManicGTI

Post by ManicGTI »

Thanks, BW responded with a similar answer by email.

I've redone timing back to 10 deg (from 5) and it's running nicely at the moment, had it sat idling for 30-40 mins with no issues so time for a test drive I think!