no indicators

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hippy chick
80-90 Mem No: 1575

no indicators

Post by hippy chick »

ok so new radiator fitted new heater motor fitted dash back in all working apart from indicators :( four hours trying to sort it and find fault but cant find it . earth crowns cleaned and new connectors  green light working on dash hazards working and new fuse. i have ordered new relay and stalk . anyone have any idea what is the fault please  sorry its a 1985 Devon caravette

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: no indicators

Post by ZsZ »

The hazards work all time while the indicators just when the ignition is switched on. Both have fuses: #9 (hazards) and #11 (indicators) on early bullet fuse system.
the hazard switch switches between the battery positive and the ignition positive as the two power inputs.
If the hazard switch is off the ignition line powers the relay and the circuit goes through the stalk switch.
If the hazard is on the input is switched to the battery positive and the stalk switch is bypassed.
The dash LED is powered through the blink relay through a parallel circuit.
  • at the hazard switch check the black/blue wire for power (ign pos. should be there).
  • at the blink relay check the white wire for power (ign. pos should be there by default; with hazards on, battery positive should be there) and brown for ground. black/white/green should be the blinking power (grounded test lamp should blink) - as the hazards are working, the circuit loop through the relay should be OK. The black/white/green goes up to the hazard switch so you can check it there too
  • at the stalk switch check the black/white/green wire for the blinking power (grounded test lamp should blink) at the stalk you can check the L/R output of the blinking power on the black/whita and black/green wires (they go up again to the hazard switch so you can check them there too).
E D I T:
as the hazards are working by guess would be the problem is either at the fuse, at the hazard switch or at the indicator stalk switch
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

If the green indicator led is working the it looks like the problem is at the indicator stalk or the fuse box. The wire that needs to be checked is coded White/Black/Green which should have 12v with ignition on. This wire is connected to the fuse box and the flasher relay and probably come adrift.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I am presuming that all bulbs have been checked and are working, I think if one is duff it affects the whole system.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

Thank you all I will get this all checked I'm not good with electrics lol all bulbs are fine none dull.
I know the switch at stalk all had a good feed yesterday a friend checked for me and said I'd have to trace a wire back to the relay.
Thank you for your replys

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Are you sure the hazard switch is plugged in securely and tight ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

I will have a look in the morning Steve thank you so much

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

Ok so new relay in and new stalk new fuses to 11 and 9.still no indicators. On the back of fuse 11 there are two spade connectors only one has a wire connected. Can you please tell me if both connection spades should have wires to them please.

jas915
80-90 Mem No: 6242

Post by jas915 »

Start the van. Had exactly the same problem after taking dash out to do heater motor, ie no indicators but hazzards worked. Ran the engine for a bit as it hadnt been run for a while, bingo all fixed like magic. Must have been low battery voltage in my case. Although van still started.
Grey/white high top, AAZ.

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

I will give it a go tomorrow thank you for the tip .
I thought I had missed a wire as there is a empty spade conecter behind fuse 11

hippy chick

Post by hippy chick »

Thank you jas915 after running her for a bit indicators are all working. 👍 😀