1989  F reg 2.1 Dj syncro with no brake lights?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

1989  F reg 2.1 Dj syncro with no brake lights?

Post by spanishfly »

Struggling with a lack of brake lights.

Bulbs good, fuse good.

I have live at the switches under the master cylinder on the red/yellow all the way to the black box and rear light plugs in the engine bay.

If I short across the plug lights don't come on. Have only tried the switch nearest the driver.

There is no neg -ve  (green light) on the red black or black red wires with my probe. 

I've just replaced the engine so everything has been disturbed.

Up front there is continuity between the switches on the master to the junction behind the fusebox and negative at fuse box C1 and E 16 but not on any of the red/black or black reds all have no reading.

I can't see any specific earth point from the rear lights on the Bentley pages? but do as I'm writing this dimly remember removing an earth back right behind the cyclone filter/blanking plate when I took the engine out back in the Spring? I haven't rechecked there.

This must be something blindingly obvious but I'm over thinking it!

The rear lights, reversing and fog lights are all fine as are indicators.

Confused as to what the small 't' and 'u' in Bentley signify? But as they appear common to the reversing light which works guess it can't be that.....?

Have rechecked the earths on to the block which were cleaned in vinegar as were the crowns behind the fuse box and am soaking the copper braided cable over night to do the same as it quite was green and dirty. 

Any help/pearls much appreciated....!

!987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1988 AFN Mosaik...maybe?
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1989 RHD Syncro 2 button
  • 0 login to like this post
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel

spanishfly
80-90 Mem No: 12044

Re: 1989  F reg 2.1 Dj syncro with no brake lights?

Post by spanishfly »

Hmmm egg on chin, turned out to be one of the plugs on the rear loom, and maybe one of the bulb holders. Whatever it was it's all good now. 
1987 Westy Joker 1.6TD
1987 Dehler Profi 2+2
1988 Syncro RHD panel