80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Alternator kaput ?

Post by Aidan »

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

I'm only 5 miles out of your way, have spare aletrnator here but it may not fit air cooled and depending on which alternator you have neither will regulator, but if you rs takes the later reg then can swap out a used one and I can get parts from local motor factor maybe same day delivery and certainly next day from brickwerks

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

I have a spare alternator from a CU engine you can have.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

seem to be a few different ones fitted to CU and depending on that different regulators, need to see what he's got or get part numbers from the one fitted, some of the CU alternators do use the later regulator which I have 

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by MagicWagon »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Only just seen latest replies. Marks motors in welshpool has ordered me one using part number from justcampers and vwheritage which is coming in tomorrow. It looks the same as mine I think so hoping that will do me. If I'm still stuck I'll let you know. Thanks again. :ok
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

So, I got the replacement alternator from Marks in Welshpool. The regulator seemed identical to mine, so first of tried swapping just that, but with no joy, still not charging. So I removed my alternator. It looked pretty much the same as the new one, except, the shaft was about 10 or 12 mm shorter and could not fit on the pulley and fan from my old alternator.
Now having the alternator off, I could read the part number - 070 903 023 D
Went back in the shop and gave them that number, and the cross checked it to be the right one they had sold me. 
Looking here, the CU could have various part numbers https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+ ... -131000/#1
which are mostly ending 903 023, with different letters on the end, B, C, D, E
JustKampers list 070-903-023/CX and VWHeritage list 070-903-023/BX - both on back order and I'm not convinced the shaft is long enough on either of those either.
So I'm a bit stuck as to what to do. Marks are getting another of the same in tomorrow, just on the off chance it's different but I don't really hold out any hope of that. In any case, it came without a woodruff key and mine was too long to fit in it.
Aiden, if you read this, does the one you have have a long shaft? About 40 mm.
Here are some of pictures of my shaft for comparison ImageImageImage

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

your alternator was superseded by 070 903 023 CX  which it appears is out of stock in the UK and apparently in Germany too at the moment; if the regulator swap didn't fix it then chances are diode pack inside the alternator or similar failure so you need a good used correct alternator or a good used replacement; try Mick at VW NW 07968367046
The only alternator I have is 90amp for watercooled wbx and I don't know if a.) it will physically fit your engine or b.) if the pully will line up or c.) if the belt you have and the ones I have will allow it to work and d.) wiring loom connections are different between your 45amp on the 90amp
If I was you I would just get recovered home and sort it once there, chances are you will break down running about trying to fix it and then you'll need to be recovered anyway, you are just stressing the holiday, call your recovery people as soon as possible and explain the issue, hey they might even fix it, that's what they want to do rather than recover you

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Air-cooled alternators have a longer shaft and different front mounting plate with three hole mounting. 45A and 65A versions were available and interchangeable between early and late versions.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Well, we got home :D Bought a spare battery. Got 100 miles on the old one. It didn't fail, but in slow traffic and heavy rain on M6 with no hard shoulder, I pulled into an emergency bay and swapped to the new one as the wipers were getting sluggish.
My alternator is labeled 070 902 023D and the replacement supplied should have been a compatible replacement according to their parts database, but the shaft was too short. I'm wondering about getting mine refurbed so I'll look into that. Cheers for all the info.