headlight upgrade kit review

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RCN
80-90 Mem No: 9776

headlight upgrade kit review

Post by RCN »

Hello collective hive
Asked a couple of the guys here about these headlight upgrades they did but wondering if anyone else has any view - good or bad on them
looking at the campervan culture set and these are cheaper even when you add the cost of new bulbs to. this is the link:

https://www.paddockspares.com/boomslang ... -loom.html

Cheers in advance all :ok
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.

weimarbus
80-90 Mem No: 10165

Re: headlight upgrade kit review

Post by weimarbus »

Seems good price but the components would be less and also factor in running a HD supply wire from the battery otherwise you are only taking the load off the headlight switch not getting rid of the volt drop.
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's (now sold)
1972 1303 beetle
1992 Audi 100 2.8 quattro estate
1967 Vw  Madison kit

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I've had that exact kit for about 5 years now. Fit and length was perfect. One of the crimps wasn't great so I remade that one, but otherwise great kit. I think the feed back to the battery was already long enough, if I remember right. I'd recommend it. Saves you sourcing it all. My relays are behind the grill in tough bags. Just make sure they are oriented and sealed well, with a little drain hole at bottom.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Personally I'm not so keen on that way of fitting headlight relays for a couple of reasons.

Drivers of RHD (GB market) T3's which were fitted with 'Dim-Dip', will find they have to disable their dim-dip circuits when using this kit, otherwise the headlights will come on with the switch in the 'sidelights' position.

If the kit is being fitted due to the lights being 'dim', due to some other fault on the vehicle, then just fitting the kit leaves the fault unresolved.

It is also a bit messy behind the grill, and another lot of terminals which are potential failure points.

Instead, if the relays are put into the headlight circuit between the switch and the fuseboard, they can be fitted inside, the original fuses are retained, and dim-dip will still work correctly.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004