Late Fuse Box Internal Wiring Diagram

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Late Fuse Box Internal Wiring Diagram

Post by syncroandy »

The terminal numbers are from the DIN standard. The main differences in T3 wiring, aside from pre/post 85, is between different countries which had different standards for things like lighting. Also there were optional things like rear wash-wipe, extra features in some editions (eg. Carat) and so on. The 'factory wiring diagrams' are all for the LHD versions, so we do see some differences compared to our RHD vehicles. The GB lighting PDF is on my website. A diagram I did way back of the horn relay upgrade:

Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

oli8925
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by oli8925 »

Thanks everyone, some really helpful information here. Robsey, thanks very much for your tables and guides. Can I ask if you can re-post the table for relays 1-5, unless I'm mistaken you've uploaded the wrong screen shot.

It certainly is getting difficult to source some of these little parts now, as you say the 'L' connector I can only find on Brickwerks and is out of stock. The clip on relay extensions are hard to find too, and if buying genuine are not cheap if you're adding a good few circuits

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

You were correct - I had linked to the wrong image - now sorted.

I resorted to buying used connectors from ebay.
I only got an L connector last week after waiting and searching loom listings for two or three months.

It helps to search for "CE1 Fusebox" for related parts.
Not just VW T25 parts.

The relay block was also from ebay, and uses pozilok female spade connectors. From a similar era VW car.

Just takes patience and a bit of luck. But you will get them soon enough.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

Robsey, thanks for your instructions. I've now wired in the headlight and horn relays along with a few other bits and your notes have been invaluable. I have a favour to ask, would you be able to do the same for the manual fan switch you wired in using the stage 2 relay? I'm still getting slightly lost with the internal connections and making full sense of the information on a2resource.

Edited to say that the parts I am questioning is whether VW already give us a suitable power feed for the switch, and I'm unsure where the relay output (H3) should go (obviously to the fan but which clever pin to use to utilise existing wiring). After another couple hours head scratching, and without looking at my van's wiring as that can wait until morning, I believe the answers to my questions could be A23 and  C07 in that order, although I suspect C07 is already wired to feed the primary fan relay so I would need to splice into the existing circuit. Feels like there is probably a better way to those that know CE1 wiring?

Double E D I T - or should the 2nd stage relay output go to connector T3H to feed into the main fan relay? Something else to look at on the van in the morning.

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

I can tell you how I modified my loom.

I do not have a heated rear window, so I am using the rear window demister switch in my circuit, to keep it all factory looking.

Using the brown plug - Connector H for rad fan 2nd stage relay.

H1 - brown - relay ground - wire to a ground tag. Relay 5 pin 85.

H3 - red - relay controlled live to the fan motor. Relay 5 pin 87.

H6 - red/blue - switched live from switch. Relay 5 pin 86.

Internal battery live feed from fuse S1 - 30 Amps to Relay 5 pin 30. (No wires needed).

-----------------------------------

I used the window demister switch therefore brown plug H6 is wired to the white/green wire from switch K10 - pin 86. (Connector T2c pin 2).

Ensure you fit the heated rear window fuse - S14, 20 Amps - this is only live when the engine is running.

--------------------------------------------------

If you wish to run a separate switch, then you could wire H6 to the switch negative terminal.

And a fused 12 volt supply to the switch positive terminal. Possibly fused link wired to connector G pin G3. (Simple spade connector).
These only control the relay, and so do not need to be mega-thick wires.

----------------------------------------------

If you have the fan motor with three input terminals.
The connector for this is plug T3h.
H3 output goes to fan connector T3h pin 1. Red wire 2.5mm csa.

T3h pin 2 is red/black to fan motor pin 1 from thermo-switch pin 2

T3h pin 3 is brown 2.5mm csa to ground

------------------------------------

If you only have two pins, then both the red and red/black should be linked together at the fan motor.

And brown earth on it's own.

----------------------------------

I am glad you mentioned this, as I had not drawn up the schematic / ladder diagram yet. - a job for next weekend.

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Wiring diagram complete

I hope it makes more sense.

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

Thanks again Robsey, will get onto that during the week. We've had a change of plan with another switch, meaning we will now use a HRW switch as you have done instead of an aftermarket switch to keep everything matching.

I've done the bulk of the wiring now so it's only really this to do in the front before the dash can temporarily go back in. New lighting wiring now mostly finished and alarm 95% wired up

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/6175e188cba ... WA0002.mp4

One further questing I have is the best way to route cabling from the dash to the rear of the van/engine? I have a few circuits that need to ('boot' on switch, aux coolant temp and l pressure) but on initial poking I can't get from the overhead cavity onto the D pillar to run down to the engine hatch.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Route the cable under the van into the engine bay.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

I made up a supplementary battery cable for my electric power steering and to add a handbrake warning light.
I followed the existing battery cable to the fuse box.

In a similar manner -
As suggested, you will probably find an extra grommet in the front of the van either behind the left headlight or behind the grill on that side.

All the body looms pass through grommets at the front.
You can follow the main body loom under the van towards the engine bay.
You should get away with strapping the extra cable to the main body loom using cable / zip ties.

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

Thanks both, I'll do that. I've used one of the extra holes to completely rewire the headlight circuits as corrosion extended far up the original cabling and haven't wrapped and sleeved the loom incase I needed to add to it for this purpose, so that's what I will do.

So, for vans with 'boot' lights triggered by the rear pin switch, how is the earth to the pin switch routed? Does it extend all the way back to the front to get under then van with the main loom then run to the engine compartment (I assume on preliminary poking the pin switch goes in the bottom lip of the rear opening next to the latch? Couldn't actually find any pictures of a van with one fitted)

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

The boot light is ordinarily fed from a fuse in a supplementary fusebox under the rear seat.

In your situation, you connect the contact for the alarm / immobiliser to the wire between the boot light and the light switch.

The ground for the switch is directly to the bodywork / hatch.
Usually by the self-tapping screw where the switch is screwed to the van.

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

Ah yes, I remember reading about the rear seat fusebox now. OK, think I've got it all sussed

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

Hi all, a couple of years later. The van's been back from the bodyshop for a little while so I've been finishing off the wiring tweaks to be able to put the dash back in, and have a slightly odd problem.

The fan override switch was working nicely with the exception of a noisy fan. Turns out the shroud was a bit bent in so, easy problem to solve, however after a few throws of the switch it stopped working. I've tested all wires and components and the issue is an open circuit between the fuse 14 terminal and terminal 4 of relay socket 5. I just find it very odd that something internal failed (bearing in mind that circuit had never been used) before the fuse blew.

To those of you that have had the fuse box apart, does it make any more sense to you and is there any advice I should take on board before pulling the fuse box apart to hopefully fix the issue?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

OK, now it's open I see relay 5 terminal 4 goes through fuse 1, which had blown but looked intact from the top. Still an open Circuit between fuse 14 and terminal 4 but I assume (hope) it requires other components and wiring to be connected to close the circuit.

Still disconcerting that fuse 1 (30A) blew.

I'll throw it back together and test it again.

oli8925

Post by oli8925 »

And all fine...for now. Oh well, the fuse box is now considerably cleaner