Inherited a battery isolator, can i wire dash clock to battery?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

grace72
80-90 Mem No: 2691

Inherited a battery isolator, can i wire dash clock to battery?

Post by grace72 »

The 1.9 DG I have recently bought came with a battery isolator and of course the clock stops when i use it. Is it possible to wire up the clock to the battery direct/fused, given that floppy circuit board that lives in the dash?
1.9 DG Autohomes with Westfalia roof

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Inherited a battery isolator, can i wire dash clock to battery?

Post by AngeloEvs »

You would have to cut the wire which feeds the clock at the 14 pin multiconnector and then connect a new wire from it to the battery via an in line fuse or use a new wire with a female spade connector and connect it to the clock at the rear of the dash, you would need to remove the plastic grip that is fitted on the rear of the clock and holds the ribbon to the clock . You are better off just adjusting the clock, it only takes a few seconds.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

AngeloEvs wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 21:36 You are better off just adjusting the clock, it only takes a few seconds.

I suppose it depends how often you drive the van.
If it is your daily hack, I would think it may get quite tedious having to adjust the clock every time you get in to drive it.

------------------------------

As suggested, it is possible.

It would require fitting and routing a wire all the way from the battery to the dash.

I am a bit ocd when it comes to stuff like this, so I would want to follow the route of the main loom - under the van and up to the fuse box, before heading across the dash to the instrument cluster.

Others may just run a wire along the centre of the cab floor to the dash.
Quick and simple, but not ideal.

Put a low ampage fuse as close to the battery as possible - 5 amp or less.

I personally would insulate the pcb foil away from the positive clock terminal to prevent back feeding.

And then connect your "new" battery wire to the spade terminal on the back of the clock - assuming analogue clock.

I am sure the digital clock is similar, but I have never seen one in the flesh to give full advice of how it is wired to the foil.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

grace72
80-90 Mem No: 2691

Post by grace72 »

Great many thanks for that guys, yes it’s my only transport now. Just found a leak from clutch master so that’s taken priority now!
1.9 DG Autohomes with Westfalia roof