Spotting previous modifications

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ragtime.ben
80-90 Mem No: 0

Spotting previous modifications

Post by Ragtime.ben »

Hi all. So I got my first proper going over of my recently bought 1981 cu Devon yesterday. Sold as not running but will run 😬
Haven’t tried turning it over yet but while I am waiting for a new battery etc I thought I would go over and check some of the basics. Plugs, leads, filters, coil etc.
I have no previous history with the vehicle and the previous owner hadn’t really touched the engine and electrics side as he wanted to swap the engine out for a flat 4.
The plugs I have taken out to replace are NGK Bp6es, the dissy cap and rotor arm look pretty much new and are very clean - Beru. Coil looks like the original but another coil came with it but not fitted, unsure why. HT leads are also aftermarket, look like the Berus I’ve seen online. However they and the dissy cap are not the pin type I was expecting to find. Does this indicate to an ignition system upgrade at some point in the past? And will such a system be compatible with the otherwise standard CU engine ?
Previous owner said he’s had it running off the ignition but ran very rough, although it has been stood for some time I believe. TIA

ImageImage
1981 2.0 CU A/C

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Spotting previous modifications

Post by Mocki »

The coil denotes which type of lead and dissy cap , if the coil isn’t the pin type the rest cannot be without changing the sex of the king lead along its length.

either are ok, and a CU was never the later pin type anyway .

someone who knows Aircooled will be along with a check list of what should be what ect 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Ragtime.ben

Post by Ragtime.ben »

Thanks for clearing that up Steve I’m not really sure why I expected to find the pin type. Theoretically if all the coil and Leads and capAre the correct type I should be able to replace the plugs for new ones of the same model?
1981 2.0 CU A/C

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Look s remarkably unmolested.
Apart from the vacuum pipes should look like this.

Not to clear in the above picture, but your vac hose should be following the yellow line to the side of the carb.

1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Ragtime.ben

Post by Ragtime.ben »

Thanks for that ! Any idea why the vacuum unit on the dissy would be done like it is on mine ? There’s no vacuum hoses, going to the air box like in your picture, and the hose you have highlighted seems to go elsewhere tooImage
1981 2.0 CU A/C

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Ragtime.ben wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 14:31 Thanks for that ! Any idea why the vacuum unit on the dissy would be done like it is on mine ? There’s no vacuum hoses, going to the air box like in your picture, and the hose you have highlighted seems to go elsewhere too

Probably because someone didn't know the correct way.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow