Solar panel wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Solar panel wiring

Post by Cyrus »

I have just received a 100w solar panel for my birthday and purchased a Victron Snartsolar charge controller.
I wish to wire this up to keep my 110ah leisure battery fully charged but also to keep the main battery topped up as the camper gets parked up for weeks sometimes.
My question is what's the best way to do this? At present the leisure battery and fridge get powered from the alternator wiring from a cheap intelligent split charger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Re: Solar panel wiring

Post by Syncronorth »

I'm thinking if you connect the solar output to the starter battery it will open the split charge system and charge both batteries. But what will happen when you start your car when the system is open? Will it draw power from your leisure battery? Or does your split charge system go one way?
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I was thinking of doing it that way but I'll have to check the output of the split charger, I also wanted to use the load output of the victron (has a load cut off) so I don't drain the leisure battery fully. I may have to just swap the split charger to have the vehicle battery charging as a secondary and charge the leisure battery from the solar panel only.
Just wondering how others have done theirs.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I have the charge controller (victron smart solar) connected direct to the leisure, and a split charge relay connecting the starter to the leisure. This way the solar charges the leisure, then when the leisure batt is upper in voltage, the split relay connects and they are both solar charged.

Alternator lifts the voltage of the starter, and the relay connects them together also.

Any significant draw from the leisure , or starter batt, its detected by the split relay, and they are disconnected. Think you need a 2 way sensing relay for this (nothing special). Had it this way for 10 years and no worries. Does a great job of maintaining the starter batt too, it's lasted a long long time.
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Great thanks for that, it makes sense to do it that way. I may need to purchase a more capable split charge relay but for a reliable charging system it's worth it.

Syncronorth
80-90 Mem No: 17245

Post by Syncronorth »

If you are willing to spend money I think a dc to dc charger that's also capable of handling lithium batteries is the way to go.
1983 camper 1.9 DG 1985 transporter syncro 1.9 DG and one 1985 8-seater syncro 2. 1 DJ